Creating Slope on a Flat Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Looking to build a flat roof on a garage about 7m x 3.5m. Joists to run across the shorter span. On top of these I plan to add firrings in order to achieve a slope for water run-off. Would prefer if the slope was front to back or back to front rather than side to side. This being the case I will need to run the firrings across the joists instead of along them which raises two questions.

1. Will the strength of the roof be less with the deck on effectively thinner support, i.e. the firrings (thinking of children going up there despite the fact they will have been told dozens of times not to).

2. How do you run firrings over 7m when they can only be bought in shorter lengths?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
What roofing material are you planning to use?

1. Yes.
Run decent thickness battens across the joists first and add firrings on top of this. Any insulation going in?

2. Personally I'd make my own with a skill saw.

Also, how far apart are the joists?

Make sure you have 1:60 fall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back