Firrings across flat roof joists on overhang??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a new extension with a flat roof (warm deck) and will run the firrings along the joists to the rear to run into a gutter. I have, and please forgive me as I’m not sure of the terminology, small side overhangs (outrigger, soldiers, lookouts??). The attached image is similar to what I have with the arrow pointing the direction of the firrings.

Can I have the end firring running across the overhang lookout joists? If not, how else can I have the fall across the entire deck? Can I attach a joist to the end of the lookout joists thereby making a ladder type arrangement and place the firring on that? If so, how would I attach this to the lookout joists?

Attachments

• 90DC446A-62BB-45C5-821B-3783CE6C6E68.jpeg
    90DC446A-62BB-45C5-821B-3783CE6C6E68.jpeg
    464.9 KB · Views: 2,398
Sponsored Links
Using your last full length furring as a guide, fix ever diminishing thickness battens (laths etc) to the opposite facing joists and use packing material (thin ply etc) or a planer, where the battens need adjusting to height.

If you go with a furring going across the joists then you will be limited to fixing the above deck, at a point where the furring and the joists cross. This can be a reet pain because it limits your fixing potential and you can't see once the ply is laid.

Last edited:
Not sure I follow what you mean...

What about adding a joist to the end of the opposite facing joists like in this attached image? I could run a firring along the top of the end joist. For strength, I could add another firring across the joists and next to the end joist/cap so the support is under the deck. My dilemma is how to fix the end joist/cap to the lookouts? Is there a strong tie type connector for this sort of thing?

Attachments

• 56C69058-4C7D-4033-BBF9-FDC407F7CB6F.jpeg
    56C69058-4C7D-4033-BBF9-FDC407F7CB6F.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 1,567

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back