Flat Roof Fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Is there a best brand/cheapest/quality go to flat roof fixing?

My requirement is for a warm flat roof

18mm deck
110mm insulation
25mm to 125mm firring
joists

45sqm total area.

Can the fixings go 35mm into the firring which has been nailed to the joist or do they have to go 35mm into the joist? This will really effect how long the fixings need to be.

Also whats a standard amount of fixings per sheet?

Thanks very much in adavance.

Sponsored Links
You seem to have your deck outside the insulation. For it to be warm then shouldn't it be under the insulation.

E.g.:
insulationFig2.gif

Still a warm roof, I'm just omitting osb below the insulation. 400mm centres and 110mm insulation and I'll support edges that don't finish on a joist (75mm)

Just really need to know if the fixings can just go into the firrings in places and not the joist. Firrings will be nailed to joists.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can fix into the furrings as long as they are themselves secure to the joists.

I would not fit insulation direct to joists without a layer of boarding. They will settle and compress on the joists, even as you are working on them and finishing the roof, causing dips. Also, as the deck moves naturally, they wear on the joists too, dipping and causing nails/screws to pop the deck covering.

I think fixings are every 200-300mm around edges and along joists, but can't recall if that's the recommended number or not or if it can be less.

Hmmmm I wouldn't want any dips leading to pooling. Ok I'll use the 18mm as deck (vapour layer below it) and 9mm over insulation.

That's going to be a lot of fixings then, better get a 400 pack.

170mm fixings will give me about 43mm depth into wood, ok or go for 195mm fixings?

and is this stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roof-Vapo...336?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a80017138 ok for VCL? Saw it mentioned on here somewhere. But I guess something wider like dpm material below pad would be easier, less joins to tape.

Cheers all

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yes those will do. But see if you can find out the recommended spacing though so that you don't spend more than you need to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back