credit card cloned

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a phone call from my credit card people to say that they had stopped my card cos it was being used in america, and was it me? I said no and was happy that they stopped it.
today I got my new card and a message to ring this number to activate it, which I did and the girl that dealt with it tried to sell me insurance against identity fraud, is this normal? have any of you had identity fraud? do I need the cover? what a sad world :cry: and how did they clone my credit card in the first place? never been to America or used my card other than over the www.
they spent 200 squids but I'm insured for it.

Sponsored Links
They are trying to sell you insurance against identity fraud because it is very profitable business for them.

If your card is misused without your knowledge or consent, and you are not part of a conspiracy, any losses will be borne by the bank.

If you want to check your credit records you can do so for a nominal fee.

p.s. if somebody calls you and says they are from your bank or credit card company, and asks you to check that you have the card, and asks you to read out the 3-digit security number from the back, or to tell them the PIN so they can check your identity, and asks your mothers maiden name and your date of birth, don't tell them :rolleyes: it is a trick to find out the number and other information they can use when impersonating you. Only give this information when YOU have phoned the bank using a number from your statement or the phone book.

When my bank calls me trying to sell services or anything, I always tell them I will have to confirm their identity, and ask which branch they're at; how many accounts I have, how much was the latest payment, the expiry date of the card, how long I have been a customer, stuff like that. Sometimes I ask them to describe the building opposite my bank branch (it is very distinctive)

JohnD said:
p.s. if somebody calls you and says they are from your bank or credit card company, and asks you to check that you have the card, and asks you to read out the 3-digit security number from the back, or to tell them the PIN so they can check your identity, and asks your mothers maiden name and your date of birth, don't tell them

no **** :rolleyes:

if anybodys stupid enough to do that these days they deserve to lose their money. bit like being stopped by the wallet inspector on the street :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Nearly got conned the other day on my internet shop.

Somebody tried to cuy a worcester combi, using 3 different names and cards. The final one was screened and accepted my my card handling agent, PROTX. I called the 'phone number that was given for my own peace of mind and guess what, the little old lady had never heard of any of them AND lived in a different part of the country :eek:

I called PROTX and asked why they had cleared saying that 3d checks were authenticated, they replied that 3d had not been passed but their system had ascertained that it was good enough to be classed as secure :eek:

Called my card merchant bank and they were useless as well, chap couldn't help without the full card number which I hadn't got as it was a secure internet transaction.

Finally called 'customers' bank, explained to them my doubt of the transaction validity and could they contact their customer to check if it was valid. 5 mins later they called me back saying they couldn't give me any details but recommended I declined it, which I did reverse the transaction immediately.

Decided to call my local police HQ and asked for card fraud dept. Reorted all of the above to them along with the delivery address hoping they would send someone local to investigate this address.

They replied 'have you lost any money?' I said no, they replied 'well in that case we do not want to know about it until somebody has been the victim of fraud and lost money'.

What a waste of space the police are, to me it would have been correct for them to visit and find out what was going on and possible uncover a fraud gang, but as usual they spout on about wanting the public to help then basically tell us we are wasting their time :mad:

p.s. if somebody calls you and says they are from your bank or credit card company, and asks you to check that you have the card, and asks you to read out the 3-digit security number from the back, or to tell them the PIN so they can check your identity, and asks your mothers maiden name and your date of birth, don't tell them

528.gif

JohnD said:
When my bank calls me trying to sell services or anything, I always tell them I will have to confirm their identity, and ask which branch they're at; how many accounts I have, how much was the latest payment, the expiry date of the card, how long I have been a customer, stuff like that.

I do the same. It is amazing how shocked they are sometimes...

Whenever my bank phone me (not very often) AND ASK ME SECURITY QUESTIONS, i ALWAYS REFUSE TO ANSWER THEM AND SAY IF IT IS IMPORTANT SEND IT THROUGH THE POST.

Sorry for shouting - pressed the wrong key mid way through. :oops:

so do we take out insurance against identity fraud or is it just another way to get our money?

reggols said:
so do we take out insurance against identity fraud or is it just another way to get our money?
If you're careful, you shouldnt have to.

Had we still been allowed to be paid in cash rather than forced to have bank accounts then we wouldn't be prone to this type of fraud (we wouldnt have credit or debit cards), they really screwed us up when they invented this system to line others pockets and i dont just mean the crooks there unless you have the same opinion as i do that banks are crooks also.

What I do is that when I get calls from Capital Bank, Survey and marketing companies, Double Glazing, etc etc etc , and all the other fool merchants I ask THEM for the password. Usually a long pause and I explain that in order to prove who they are they need to provide the agreed password. So far I have had three hang ups, two "We will write to you's" and one "For F**s sake are you mad" !!!!!

Works a treat!

Sponsored Links
Back