Credit card

I too tried Amex and found it was useless. I also found their website weird. I think I got paid £50 for applying for mine though, so happy to take the money and run.

I believe they charge the highest merchant fees, so many retailers don't accept it. This is why they can offer good freebies.

Some places just won't accept any credit cards at all, a business supplier is one. This is because they are charged a higher fee than for a debit card. One place used to charge an extra percentage if paying by credit card, but this was made illegal a few years ago. Ikea once experimented with doing this, probably why the banks asked their friends in government to stop it being allowed, all pretending to be consumer champions of course. But I don't think I've come across any retailers who will turn away credit card customers (other than Amex), probably for the simple reason that they'd lose a lot of customers if they did.

Sponsored Links
Well, barring the free airport lounge visits, I’ve had out of mine exactly what I got it for so no complaints from me. Now that I’ve achieved my required spend to get the 20,000 points, we are going back to the Mark's cards. One thing I might try out is their guarantee that if a retailer will not accept a returned item for credit after 30 days, Amex will refund you up to 60 days after the purchase. I wonder what they will do with the unwanted item - let you keep it perhaps? :unsure:

one strange thing about amex is they will give you a payment due date but its impossible to set up a d/d on that date its about 10 days earlier

Well, barring the free airport lounge visits, I’ve had out of mine exactly what I got it for so no complaints from me. Now that I’ve achieved my required spend to get the 20,000 points, we are going back to the Mark's cards. One thing I might try out is their guarantee that if a retailer will not accept a returned item for credit after 30 days, Amex will refund you up to 60 days after the purchase. I wonder what they will do with the unwanted item - let you keep it perhaps? :unsure:
If you ever get sober enuff, read this nonsense back to yourself & try to understand that you probably wouldn't want to do business with your sober self.

Sponsored Links
If you ever get sober enuff, read this nonsense back to yourself & try to understand that you probably wouldn't want to do business with your sober self.
Someone’s been drinking t’dregs from t'pots in t'pub in t'village at the lunchtime sesh instead of just collecting them.

I used to get cash back on my CC, so I used it a lot. I even got SWMBO £1k worth of euros, big mistake. Buying foreign currency is the same as drawing money from a cash point with a CC, you get stung with heavy fees, so beware.

Sponsored Links
Back