Which credit card

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have never owned a credit card. But would like to apply for one. Which one is best and recommended. Also some say you need a landline to apply. Why? As I dont have one so does this mean I cant apply?

Sponsored Links
Deals change almost daily so I would try a comparison website. Whilst individuals may recommend a particular card they use, they are unlikely to know what is actually the best deal right now.

Click here for an example site

Some loan companies like a land line, as it ties you to a location, unlike a mobile.

in general you wont get a credit card until you have built up a credit score this is achieved by years off bank accounts store cards and other traceable ways off following how you handle use and abuse your money
you in general can get bank charge card iff you have a bank account

have you got a good track record with a bank ??

if you are planning on using a credit card for short term lack off money then don't there are much better ways that are cheaper to help cash flow problems

Sponsored Links
Don't do it unless you are going to pay it off in full each month.
I would go further than that, don't do it at all!
If you can not afford it, don't buy it.
Worst thing I ever did, in my younger, naive and ignorant days was apply for a Credit Card :evil:
They ask for your landline number, so they can trade it off and have lots of Indians calling you, at the most inconvenient of moments. :evil:

I would go further than that, don't do it at all!
If you can not afford it, don't buy it.
Worst thing I ever did, in my younger, naive and ignorant days was apply for a Credit Card :evil:
They ask for your landline number, so they can trade it off and have lots of Indians calling you, at the most inconvenient of moments.

Agree. Leave well alone!

Once they have hooked you, you will probably be a customer for life. :cry:

Which one is best and recommended. ?

I have two - both of which I pay off monthly so I don't pay any interest charges. One of them I use for online purchases and I purposely have a low maximum limit on it so that any fraudulent transaction will be small. The other card is a Tesco Mastercard and on every card purchase I get Tesco points credited. By the end of the year I have enough points to get a free return ticket for car and passengers on Eurotunnel.

Hi I have never owned a credit card. But would like to apply for one. Which one is best and recommended. Also some say you need a landline to apply. Why? As I dont have one so does this mean I cant apply?

More information needed really, as to how you intend to use your credit card.

i intend to have a £500 splash out on clothes etc then not use anymore, will put money aside each month to pay off in 0% interest time, i do currently have bank account and mortgage etc as sum 1 asked. tesco looks best

Do you want information on who is the best debt management adviser at the same time? ;)

PS
On the tesco credit card longest deals you can only spend £250 credit.
Sorry this incorrect and is actually 5K, so I'll call debt management for you ;)
But what does this mean?
Minimum Credit Limit: Credit limit assigned at account opening. Minimum limit £250 :confused:

i intend to have a £500 splash out on clothes etc then not use anymore, will put money aside each month to pay off in 0% interest time, i do currently have bank account and mortgage etc as sum 1 asked. tesco looks best

In that case deano basically any card will do for you, as interest rates will not be an issue. Rates do vary an awful lot from card to card, which you would need to consider if you did not intend paying off the balance. As you say Tesco are offering a good offer 13 months at 0%, but if you are paying the balance off immediately, what is the point of this added benefit?

Credit cards are a lot better than store cards as a store card is limited to the shop who issues it (or any chain of stores within that store group). Interest rates are notoriously high on store cards.

Lou.

Don't do it unless you are going to pay it off in full each month.
Couldn't agree more with John. We have a few different ones. We sign up to a new one if there's a 0% deal on. Comes in handy if yo ucan get a 0% interest for 12 months. Means you can make a big purchase but spread the burden of the payment over a year.

So that's my advice, get one offering 12 months (or as long as possible), 0% interest and make sure you keep up the payments. As LooPrEvil states above, Tesco seem to be offering the best deal at the minute in terms of 0% interest for a given period... 13 months interest free and no annual fee.

http://www.tescofinance.com/persona...nt:content}/{keyword}/{creative}&BrandProduct

It is VERY easy to get sucked into going over what you intended to spend. Set yourself a REALISTIC budget. One that you can DEFINITELY pay back in the period and STICK TO IT.

Don't mean to sound like I'm preaching, just want to advise. FYI, Bahco is probably the most qualified person here in terms of seeing people who have got themselves into debt and he'll no doubt have better advice than I can give but that's my tuppence worth.

I think I may have misunderstood you deano. I thought you were going to spend £500 per month and pay it off monthly. My error. Tesco card does look good then, so long as YOU remain in control and dont overspend!

Lou

Sponsored Links
Back