Crispy and damp radiator tail pipe... is it a leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A couple of months ago we had our rad taken off as we had some dampproofing done. Since then, strange happenings have occured to the radiator, particularly the bit where the tail pipe is.

Just for info, the rad was installed as new over a year ago, it is a Purmo make but not sure of the model or size. Until now we have had no problems with it. The thermostatic valve is always set on maximum as our thermostat is in that room.

Everything appeared fine for a while after the damp people reinstalled the rad, then I noticed a crispy residue on the pipe. It wasn't on the thermostatic valve side of the rad, just the pipe on the other side (sorry I am a bit of a novice). I cleaned off the residue and it seemed fine. Then a few weeks later, I noticed some crispy residue on the carpet. The nuts and pipes seemed fine so left it be and cleaned it up.

At the weekend, I was putting some clothes on the rad, when I dropped something on the floor. I happened to touch the same pipe and nut and it was wet. There was no incessant dripping though. I touched the carpet and it was dry.

I decided to test it out to see what it was. I placed a small cup under the tail pipe and I monitored it over the day. When the rad was on it was fine, no wet feeling or any water in the cup. This morning when I got up, there was about a thimbles worth of water in the cup. I am assuming that the water appears when the rad is cold. However, the water is not dripping incessantly, nor have we a raging torrent (yet...). As we have a combi boiler I went upstairs to check the pressure and that is fine, it hasn't lost any pressure whatsover.

There is also an air vent behind the rad, which has been blowing a gale lately due to bad weather. I cannot imagine this is the cause, although condensation crossed my mind, though I have found dirt on the carpet.

All other rads are fine.

Could anyone shed any light before I ring the heating engineer?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back