Crown glass v horticultural glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to get that ripple effect when replacing some cracked panes of 200yo original glass. I hear the options are crown v horticultural/agricultural. But crown was quoted at £50 for one small piece to fit inside a sash and horticultural is said to be very thin and dangerous.

Have you seen or had any opinions / experience with either?

Sponsored Links
Horti glass used to have ripples and bubbles in it but not any more, they used all the cheap bits that had faults but now it is nearly as perfect as float glass.

Yes you may be lucky but i reckon you have a 1 in 50 chance of getting a flawed piece and even then probaly nothing like what he is after you may get a bubble or slight swirl.

Sponsored Links
Actually, someone said recently horti glass has a green tinge which would be no good at all....

Just to throw another spanner-
Last year or maybe the year before a job I was on was being glazed in crown glass or at least something very similiar. It's evidently not made over here much now and so most is imported from Poland and was costing in the area of £400 a square metre. It's also really thin and caused problems for the glazers in that they needed to be very careful when fitting as it snapped easily.

Phone up all the local double glazing firms and ask if they are removing any old box sash windows in your area and go and salvage a few of the old sashes and have that re-cut to size...remember old glass can be a b***h to cut so grab a few sashes to be on the safe side :)

we sell restoration glass for what you are looking for but it is quite expensive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back