Georgian Windows Secondary Glazing or Alternatives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm taking a canter around the feasibility of some work on a Grade II listed house, and I'm trying to get a handle on making Georgian sash windows liveable.

What ways are available to do it?

I'm aware of thin-void double glazed units, which would replace panes inside the old glazing bars, however, there are still quite significant amounts of plain Georgan glass present - like drumskins - and I'm reluctant to destroy them.

I'm also not keen to put really major money into anything which will last less than 30-50 years.

I have 18 such windows (including 6 in a pair of bays) with a total of almost 200 window panes). The sizes are roughly 1.5m high by 0.9m wide, with 3x4 smaller panes in each, divided into 2 vertically sliding sashes.

Usually we have just used large panes of toughened glass attached to the inside of each sash for the winter months with mirror hinges; that works well but is not what is expected amongst some who buy these houses (wimps!) :).

My key question: is there an effective, elegant, usable, way of doing secondary glazing, and what sort of costs am I looking at?

I accept that I may lose my beloved windows seats, but I think I need to do something to bring the property up to modern comfort levels. We're also looking at air-sourced heat pumps and other things, which all seem much more affordable than last time round 30 years ago.

This is very preliminary, and I'd love to hear any ideas.

Cheers

Ferdinand

Sponsored Links
Interesting.

A quick conversation with one or two suppliers suggests that lifespan of double glazed units will be the problem, and high costs of having them fitted, rather than purchase cost.

I can't find any double glazed units with a suggested reliable 'normal' lifespan of even 20 years.

Which takes it back to the old story - back to low-tec for long-term and a skilled local little man to do the work as when he is free.

Ferdinand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back