Secondary glazing a window

2 Oct 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I have a couple of windows in the house which are fixed not openable and are fitted with single pane glass.

I have used aluminium secondary glazing on most of the others normal windows so far. But for these could I just build an internal window to act as a secondary window.
Say If just build a little wooden frame (out of quandrant mouldings), pane of double glazing, and another wooden frame.

Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored Links

I replaced the glass around my front door with double glazed units as the original frame had plenty of space
You would be better to buy a rebated moulding as quadrant on it's own is a bit weak

It might be prone to condensation between the new pane and the old?
The bigger the gao the better
Ah yes a rebated moulding would be better. and I can put a gap upto 100mm just eats into the cill.
Sponsored Links
If you want something removable (because of condensation) you could use a simple white UPVC frame. Smartframe edging is available in lots of lengths and is low cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local