Crown scrubbable matt over Alkaline Resisting Sealer Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We bought a house a couple of years ago where some rooms had been heavily smoked in and we also weren't sure if the existing paint was oil or water based. Crown recommended sealing with Alkaline Resisting Primer and then painting with our chosen colour Crown scrubbable matt emulsion (trade).

So I ended up buying 10 ltrs of the sealer. I always seemed to have problems when painting over it with the emulsion. The kitchen took 6 coats and you can still see through it in some places. The sealer seems to repel the emulsion paint and when the top coat is rollered on it forms into small blobs surrounded by spaces that take many coats to cover. After this bad experience I switched to Zinsser BIN and Cover Stain and I have to say that the Crown emulsion goes over this like a dream. To be honest its the best emulsion I've used in the right circumstances.

So to cut a long story short, I recently started painting the ensuite bathroom and saw that I still had a full can of this Alkaline Resisting Sealer left, and I thought 'will give it another' go. I gave it a good 36 hours to dry and then did a bit of touching in around the edges with a brush. I could see the emulsion was doing the same thing as before and repelling the paint, it just seems to 'skid off' the sealer and forms brush streaks (streaks of paint and streaks of no coverage). So I decided to light sand the whole thing before getting the roller out. Did this and then rollered the emulsion on, didn't look too bad, thought 2nd coat would do it, then did 2nd coat, no good again. This is the pattern I got into with the kitchen where I ended up doing 6 coats, thought "next coat will do it" over and over again.

So before I waste my time, does anyone have any advice. It literally seems to me that the Crown Alkaline Resisting Sealer is incompatible with their Scrubbable Matt Emulsion. Maybe Crown told me wrong and you can't overcoat it with that emulsion?

Sponsored Links
ARP can be emulsioned over. I've never had a problem and I've used loads of the stuff. That said I've never used Crown ARP, that I can recall, so maybe it's their issue.
One question - Do you thoroughly stir the ARP before use, because this is important to make sure you don't have an 'oily' layer on the surface?

This could be the problem I guess. I stirred it pretty well but it was separating a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back