Crown Water Softener

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Crown water softener in a cupboard under the kitchen sink. It is about 4 years old. Just recently it has started to behave oddly in that, when a smallish quantity of softened water is run, say for example a toilet is flushed, the softener kicks into action as if re-generating. However, it only runs for half a minute or so and then it stops. Clearly, it is a waste of water if nothing else. I think it is still sending softened water to the cold tank in the loft though time will tell.
Can anyone explain what might be amiss and what the cure is please?

Sponsored Links
Excuse my ignorance but isn't that whats its supposed to do?

The water softener we have meters the overall flow through the vessel and is then scheduled to regen at the same time every night. If not enough water has passed through, it won't regen until the next night.. so in this way when you go on hols it doesn't waste water and salt.

I should bet you can download the instruction manual from the manufacturers website.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Crown (and Kinetico) water softeners are not electrically operated and do not have a timer as such to regulate the washing of the resin beads. What happens is that when you run softened water, as in my case and for most people, from the cold water storage tank in the loft, the water softener gear wheels move around as water passes through it to replenish the water in the loft tank. When the gearing reaches a certain position un-softened water passes over the resin beads and goes down the drain. Thus, the frequency of this regeneration is determined by the amount of softened water one uses and in my case. as my water usage is fairly low, it usually happens perhaps once a day. If I am away and therefore not using water at home, regeneration will not occur. The point I was making was that that proper regeneration is infrequent but when it does occur it usually takes about 20 minutes to wash the beads. During this time water is flowing into the drain. Regeneration lasting for about.half a minute should NOT occur each time I run a small quantity of softened water. Hence my problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back