Water softener - new build flat - unfamilar pipe layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a new build flat, and am looking at getting a water softener installed. I don't have enough space under my sink, but I'm not that fussed about having a drinking water tap, so I was looking at maybe putting it in the utility cupboard.

However, my understanding with water softeners is that *usually* they are connected at the mains, and then the softened water is passed to the boiler, etc. However, in my utility cupboard, I can see the cold mains feed - but am confused as there seems to be a separate hot feed.

Photos are below - could someone more knowledgeable/experienced than me clarify? The pipes that go off to the right look like they go into the under floor heating.

I do believe there maybe some sort of communal water heater, which would explain it. But does this mean I can't have a water softener? Or if I do, it will only soften the cold water

Any help would be appreciated! :)

IMG_4188.jpg IMG_4187.jpg IMG_4186.jpg

Sponsored Links
So bit of an update - I now understand I have a heat interface unit (HIU). But does this mean the hot water comes in in separate pipe to my mains cold? Or does the HIU simply warm up my cold mains water?

Sponsored Links
Yes the costs aren't my issue - I'm just curious how the hot water in the property gets heated.

Found it though from the product page for my HIU. "The instantaneous hot water heaters inside each heat interface unit shall heat incoming mains cold water via a plate heat exchanger using heated water from the community heating system."

https://www.sav-systems.com/product-groups/direct-flatstation-hius/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back