crumbly plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An elderly neighbour of mine has recently had a water leak and the wallpaper in the lounge has come down in one area. This is an old terraced house with the original plaster probably about 100 years old. the plaster is in very poor condition, sounds hollow when you tap it and is crumbling in places. I think if any repairs were attempted it would quickly turn into a full re plaster. My question is what can I do to try and stableise the plaster so that I can re paper to make it presentable.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Nothing really if the plaster has "Blown "off the backing, but there are houses all over the country with "blown" plaster still on the walls. If it is not falling off and is quite stable, and you dont want to hack it all off yet, then you may get away with putting a few coats of emulsion on it. Get a plasterer in to let you know how bad it is or a painter might be able to tell you if he can paint it, there still might be hope!!! Good Luck.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back