Crunching Potty Puma 80e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a problem with my Potterton Puma 80e combi boiler. It would seem that whenever I run the hot water through the taps, hot water is produced and fine, great. However when I close the tap the boiler makes a loud crunching and clicking sound (like a brick in a washing machine!) and if I dare leave it turned on eventually the "lockout" light comes on. The boiler then continues to run and for some reason the radiators get hot as if I`ve turned on the CH?

There is a pressure valve under the boiler with 2 needles a red on on about 1.5 and a back on just past 0. Neither of which seem to move at any point.

I`ve tried bleeding the radiators upstairs as I can hear water gurgling through them, but when I open them valve I can hear air escaping for a minute or 2 then nothing, no water dripping out, no air coming out?

I`m sure its something really simple or rather I hope so, things are a bit tight at home and I really can`t afford a costly repair bill!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Its the DHW demand switch sticking on after a demand.

Search for more information on this site.

There are several possible causes!

Tony

could also be a dead leg filling up with air on the hw circuit or if you have an intelligent washing machine sometimes the hot is not used & fills up with air

Sponsored Links
could also be a dead leg filling up with air on the hw circuit causing the boiler to stay on for hw momentarily, or if you have an intelligent washing machine sometimes the hot is not used & fills up with air

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back