Cupboard under stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a cupboard under the stairs that has the gas and electricity meters, the trip switch board and the gas cut off valve. I was hoping to turn this into a sensory den for my autistic son. Can I do this or would it be too dangerous with the gas valve etc?
Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi
I have a cupboard under the stairs that has the gas and electricity meters, the trip switch board and the gas cut off valve. I was hoping to turn this into a sensory den for my autistic son. Can I do this or would it be too dangerous with the gas valve etc?
Thank you in advance

I would suggest that is potentially a very dangerous idea, unless the items you mention are segregated and made inaccessible to small fingers.

So if it were boxed in (with access for emergencies) it would be ok? It wouldn’t emit fumes etc and I could have electrical lights in there from an extension?

Sponsored Links
C7C51E1C-0A7A-403C-8C22-9C9001F3D247.jpeg

So if it were boxed in (with access for emergencies) it would be ok?
Any boxing in would need to allow some ventilation of the meter area. Apart from emergencies, access would be needed for reading the meters too. Careful thought would have to be given to panel securing methods which allowed you or service personnel easy meter access but which would prevent access by your son.

Any boxing in would need to allow some ventilation of the meter area. Apart from emergencies, access would be needed for reading the meters too. Careful thought would have to be given to panel securing methods which allowed you or service personnel easy meter access but which would prevent access by your son.

So would just the valve/gas metre need boxing to prevent him from messing with the valve? Other than that it’s safe to use as a “den” I’ve seen so many people turn theirs into doggy dens and game dens etc

So would just the valve/gas metre need boxing to prevent him from messing with the valve? Other than that it’s safe to use as a “den” I’ve seen so many people turn theirs into doggy dens and game dens etc

No, the electrical items can be just as dangerous if not more so, aside from the risk of them turning MCB's off at a crucial moment.

It’s basically off limits then and can’t be used as a daily space?

The tight space under the stairs, would not be my first choice as a place to use for that purpose. How would you explain to social services that you keep your off-spring in a cupboard under the stairs :)

The tight space under the stairs, would not be my first choice as a place to use for that purpose. How would you explain to social services that you keep your off-spring in a cupboard under the stairs :)

I wouldn’t “keep” him there at all, he’s not Harry Potter ffs, it would just be a dark, private space for him to relax, he’s 14 and shares a bedroom. I was trying to be resourceful and help him while he’s struggling with this changing world.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back