Cupboard Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right section to be in, so apologies if not, I wasn't sure which one was best.

Looking for a bit of advice. I put a cupboard into my kitchen where the old hot water tank used to be, see here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122139 for pics, so you get the idea. The base of the cupboard covers a big hole which leads straight to underneath the floor. It's a raised wooden floor with just dirt/rubble type below. Normal Victorian setup if I'm correct.

All has been well with it since I put it in (about November 07) but this evening I took something off of the very bottom shelf/base and noticed that it was a little damp and sticky. I felt everything else on that shelf/base and they were all the same. I don't often use the stuff at the bottom so don't know how long this has been like that.

I'm guessing it's condensation, either because the base and back will be getting the cold air from under the house and the warm slightly damp air from the kitchen condensing when it hits the base of the cupboard.

So, I'm guessing I need some more ventilation in the cupboard, but I'm not sure where....

Should I put a vent in the base of the cupboard which would allow air from under the floor up through it?

Should I put a vent in the base of the cupboard door? Would this simply let slightly damper air from the kitchen into the cupboard and make it worse?

Should I put a vent in the base AND a vent in the door so that it breathes?

Sponsored Links
i am not sure on best way for this one. i think we need input from a few others to be sure.

my take is that there is too much condensation in the kitchen and it's this that needs addressing ie more vent (typ after cooking say).

i am sure your reasoning is spot on ie because the bottom shelf is coldest then the damp air is condensing in that area.

the trouble with the alternatives ie vents in base or door is that you will be just moving the problem somewhere else (the next coldest place). i guess insulation under the cupboard would perhaps be best but probably quite a lot of work to remove cupboard and refit. If not then vents in door would be next choice.

Cupboard looks brill and very professional.

Thanks for the reply and comments Jerry.

To be fair getting under the floor and thus the cupboard is very easy, the floor is about 2 feet off the ground so there's plenty of crawl space. If insulation is the answer then that is easily done, I have a few rolls left over from my loft. I guess I simply hadn't thought of insulating the underside of the cupboard :)

Also, you are correct in thinking that I need more ventilation in the kitchen, to be honest I'm dragging my feet in putting some in because the way everything in my kitchen is set out, it's no easy task!

I really just want to make sure that under my floor is properly ventilated, and I'm aware I essentially blocked a vent by making the cupboard and putting a base on it, so that is why I thought vents might work, but I was concerned that putting one in the door, and not the base of the cupboard as well, was that I might simply be letting in more damp air, and not allowing it to circulate.

It's also one of those things that you can't go back on :)

Sponsored Links
the ventilation of the sub floor void (ie below the floor boards) is crucial and i feel best kept separate from the living areas of the house. i am sure blocking off the cupboard area won't make a difference. ideally for correct ventilation you need an "in" on one wall and an "out" on another so that cross ventilation is achieved. this is not always possible ie most terrace only have vents on 1 wall. the min spec is 1 brick size vent every 1.5 to 2m of external wall surrounding the floor. more is best and usually double brick vents are common as a result. you probably don't have a problem - a meter would be needed to prove.

i would try and get some insulation under the cupboard as a 1st go. perhaps sitting on a board so that the insulation does not fall into or block the floor void.

if no good then put a vent in the door (probably top & bottom to get an air flow).

i would not put a vent in the base of the cupboard as then there is potential for damp air to escape from the void and make matters worse.

can you leave a window open when your cooking perhaps. alternatively i've seen plastic wind vain vents that can be put into the window glass which may be a potential fix. ideally you need an extract fan to go out through an external wall to be used when cooking. appreciate this can be awkward but suggest you get a few quotes just to see what's involved. it's not a job i would recommend diy due to the brickwork and plaster work involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back