Cuprinol Ducksback Harvest Autumn v Ronseal 5Y Fence life

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to treat some quality fences that I have recently bought. The fence has been pressure treated (does that mean there is already preserve on there?).

I wanted something which offers the best protection and don't want to be doing this every few years and Curpinol Ducksback and Ronseal Fence life seem to offer a 5Y fence life protection.

Does anyone have any experience of both products that they can recommend one of the other? Both appear to be water based paint but Ducksback seems to have a wax element which offering beading of water on the surface when it rains so in my view, offers better protection.

I was also recommended Barrettine Wood Treatment / Preserver but this product is like twice the price compared with Cuprinol or Ronseal for the same 5L or 9L equivalent.

Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Hi Ey,

Pressure treated means it's already been preserved by forcing preservative into the wood under pressure so it penetrates deeper as opposed to dip treatment or those applied by brush.

So you don't strictly need to treat it but may wish to paint it for aesthetic reasons. Left as is the wood will grey over time. It's worth letting the wood dry out before painting as pressure treatment leaves the wood wet so it wont take the paint well if recently treated.

I've used ronseal fence life and it's absolute cack to be honest. I haven't used ducks back but other cuprinol products I've used are very good.

The barrettine is also good stuff I have used but not necessary for pressure treated wood. It's a treatment as opposed to a paint so more expensive than ducks back fence life etc.

Once I get my new shed erected I am considering using this stuff. Gives a 10 year lifespan on softwood though I would probably redo it every 3 or 4 years anyway as a precaution.

Sponsored Links
I've used ronseal fence life and it's absolute cack to be honest. I haven't used ducks back but other cuprinol products I've used are very good.

The barrettine is also good stuff I have used but not necessary for pressure treated wood. It's a treatment as opposed to a paint so more expensive than ducks back fence life etc.

Cack = rubbish? Sorry I'm not familiar with that lingo! :)
Barrettine do two products, a preserve which is more expensive and a protect treatment which is about £10 cheaper.

I've used the Ducksback product twice now. The first time was a good few years ago on some garden sheds in Forest Green. It wasn't good to be honest. It didn't last very long before it started peeling and lifting. Looked really tatty.
More recently I've used it in Autumn Gold. Much, much better. I don't know if they've changed the formulation but this was much easier to apply, looks absolutely awesome and is doing it's job well.
I'd use it again.

Used Ducks back in grey, I think it's very watery now, and needs a new coat every 2 years min, been painting tanalised timber with it, when the can runs out, I won't be buying again.

Its interesting, on the amazon web site when people are complaining its peeling off, I'm wondering if they (or you) might have painted it when there was still moisture in the fence, because the product says it can peel if wet etc.

Cack = rubbish? Sorry I'm not familiar with that lingo! :)
Barrettine do two products, a preserve which is more expensive and a protect treatment which is about £10 cheaper.

Well it means excrement, most of the words I would use to describe fence life wouldn't make it past the swear filters, the plus side was it was so awful I complained to Ronseal and they gave me 18 litres of it, the minus was I then had to use 18 litres of this shocking stuff.

I have used Barrettine premier wood preserver followed by log cabin treatment with good results but on a log cabin. I have also used Cuprinol Exterior Wood Preserver and Ultimate preserver on pressure treated wood with good results, its probably overkill but I like overkill, the downside being that if you have a large area to do it soon adds up. Interesting to hear the mixed bag of opinions about Ducksback.

Used Duckback and Ronseal, both rubbish. The 5 year ducksback lasted barely 3 years, the Ronseal was used in April 2020, by winter it was peeling already. Try the resin injected berretine wood treatment from toolstation, that may last a bit longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back