Current in Dead Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have disconnected a power shower pump and boiler and want to disconnect the cable from the main fuse box.
I identified the breaker as turning it off turned off the neon light. There were three cables on the breaker, the downstairs ring and the boiler/shower. I removed one and connected the live and neutral together (I had turned the main switch off). I then went up and checked for a circuit from the shower switch. I then checked for a circuit from the boiler switch. Both beeped showing that I had the correct cable. I then disconnected the live and neutral and checked again - no beep. I was then 99% confident that I had the correct cable. I then turned the power back on and checked both switches for a current.
I did one final test, which is where my question comes. I connected the live cable to an earth bonded copper pipe and got a reading of 40 volts. Where does this come from. If it had been 240v, I would have been very worried, but why only 40 ?

Sponsored Links
One fuse or breaker should have only one wire coming out, it could well be that there has been some untested adding to the system. If you can measure a voltage on the cpc, your bonding is bound to be faulty. You may find getting a proper periodic inspection done a good investment. The last time I found a significant induction voltage, the house was literally lethally dangerous. Not saying your house is, but there is definitely something wrong, could be minor, could be major.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back