Curved shower screen, glass fell out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installed a p shaped bath with a curved shower screen about 4 months ago. Have just got a call from the customer saying that the glass has fallen off from its mounting. Went to investigate and sure enough the glass has come out of its frame falling to the lino floor and tearing it and then onto the radiator scratching and denting it.

Never come across this before. The screen appears to be held in to the frame by a rubber type sealant which i assume is factory set. Anyone had this problem and how did you resolve it.

Customer on holiday at the moment but i need to resolve this problem as it is dangerous and the damage will have to be sorted.

Will be going to the shop it was purchased from to explain the situation but dont want to be accused of a faulty installation. Am i right in saying that the glass screen is factory set into its frame and should not be able to fall out?

The screen is 6mm tempered glass and is not damaged but do not want to put it back in until I,m sure it wont fall out again. :eek:

Any advice is appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
HI

Never heard this before.you are right the glass is factory fitted and should not come out.check the rubber seals for evidence of tampering.contact manufacturers see if they can help.

That's scary!

Never heard of this before but imagine a mother drying off her young child at the point when this happened. I think you're kinda lucky it only damaged the rad and lino.

I would be inclined to photograph the damage and send them along with a stern letter to the manufacturer and see what they have to say.

I would also be tempted to change the screen entirely, Peace of mind an all that.

Update on this problem. The manufacturer sent a rep. around to the property to inspect the installation. He has found that the door seal was at fault and has happened on two other occasions. A possible fault on a batch imported from Croatia is alleged to be the problem. The damage and replacement costs are going to be honoured by the manufacturer once sufficient quotes are obtained. :)

Sponsored Links
Andy,
I have the same problem with a curved screen which is three years old but there is no manufacturers name on it. Can you advise the manufacturer? Thanks, Bruce

I have had this problem too. after a few times of getting the glass back in the mounting, (basicaly with a rubber mallet) the rubber has softened so much that it only grips the glass for a few hours then it starts to fall out again.
No idea of the manafacturer and it's 4 years old. If i do have to buy a brand new glass door and fittings will the curve be the same for any P shape bath?
any ideas please

Our P shaped screen is the same. Glass keeps coming loose. Recon if its out of warranty you squeeze some clear silicon in, before you re-fit the glass.

Thanks for that, It did cross my mind but i wonder if it would be strong enough to hold the glass? and of course with or without the original rubber grip?

I'd be tempted to re-use the grip. It ain't Goin no where with silicone in it. Ever tried pulling a bath out without cutting the silicone?

thanks i'll give it a go. one more thing, any idea which silicone is best?

Maybe worth having a word with someone like Autoglass, and find out what they stick car windscreens in place.

Jus use normal anti-fungal transparent silicon. It will be fine. Stick some in the screen channel, then some in the rubber and re-assemble. ;)

Hi Guys.

This happened to myself with a Curved Aqualux screen supplied by B&Q, the glass slipped from the fitting and smashed into the bath and floor, my grandchild was actually in the room at the time but was so lucky not to be hurt, the bath has several deep chips and the tiles on the floor/ bath damaged. I am trying to get the manufacturer to replace/ fix the damage but its been going on now for a few even with an engineer coming out to check the fitting etc.

Glad i found this post for at least some other examples although not common it has happened. bit disappointed in the manufacturer not being quicker off the mark and feel as if they are stalling and trying not to take responsibilty....

anyway, just wanted to add a post on my experiences

Use Sticks Like Sh*t Clear to refix the screen, should be stronger than normal silicone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back