Glass Shower install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going through the install guide for this Victoria Plumb glass shower screen and I don't quite understand what it means in the attached picture.

0~15mm gap, does it mean the screen should not butt up right into the mounting frame and there should be 0~15mm gap?

The reason I ask this is that the supplied screws come with wall plugs that I'll tap through into the adhesive and then screw in, and the screws sit flush to the mounting frame.

But I installed a wooden beam behind, and I could use longer better screws to go directly into the wood not needing to use plugs in the adhesive and the glass screen is heavy. The longer screws have a bigger head so they protrude slightly out of the mount and could scrape against the end of the glass screen if the screen needs to butt up to the mount.

So if I need to leave a gap anyway there is no way the screen could touch the bigger/longer screws? IF I am reading it wrong and the screen needs to butt right up to the end, then I will use the plugs and standard screws to avoid the screen catching the screws and possibly getting damaged

Damn just reading that I wonder if I've made any sense! I could be way off base so happy for any guidance.

Cheers,

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 18.11.21.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 18.11.21.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 72
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 18.12.15.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-15 at 18.12.15.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I used that as meaning I had 15mm tollarance in teh placement of the glass in the C channel.

My wall was not fully perpendicular to the floor (it sloped slighly), so teh C Chanel was at a slight angle to teh shower tray, and so the glass touched the back of C channel at bottom of the wall, but was off teh back of the C Channel by say 5mm at the top of the wall.

Also mans you pull the glass out of the C channel by up to 15mm (usefull if you have thinner tiles than someone else).

Finally - good idea to have the wood batten there and use longer screws. Perhaops put some small bits duct tape over the screw heads (if you can) to stop the glass hitting them when installing the glass).

SFK

That's really interesting, so I have 15mm tolerance I guess that would help with a slightly wonky wall.

So I can make sure it is level etc

I was thinking of using some silicone around the screw head and once it's dry that should be fine.

I'll be putting some silicone into the hole as well, just to make sure no water can escape at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back