Heavy Glass Shower Screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted one of those P-shaped shower baths and am about to fit the curved glass screen above the bath. The screen will be fitted to a tiled wall which is plastered brick behind.

The 3 raw plugs and screws supplied seem incredibly puny to hold such a weight - I'd say they were around 1 1/2 inches long max.

An easy question - are these really up to the job (as the load is spread over three of them) or do I need something more substantial?

Sponsored Links
Theres nothing stopping you from using larger fixings if you are worried.
Go for it:cool:

If you do use the supplied plugs make sure you push then beyond the tiles and plaster so they are fully in the brickwork, may need longer screws which should be stainless steel or brass. Is it a bathstore one as the Ideal standard one usually has decent fixings.

Jason

Sponsored Links
It's a Jacuzzi one from Homebase.

Annoyingly they also predrilled (very large) tap holes in the back corner. Consequently every time you turn the shower on, it's impossible to get out of the way without getting soaked! It was also a pain trying to waterproof the large gaps around the tap tails - especially as the bath had already been fixed by the time I had discovered water from the shower went straight through, making it impossible to reach the furthest away tap.

Typically my existing pipework would also have been perfect for mounting the taps in the obvious place in the centre......

Why O why is this plumbing lark never easy!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back