curved window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some wooden framed windows at the front of my house, all of the panes are very badly misted and need replacing. If they were plain 90 degree corners then I would have no problem tackling this but actually the top of the frame is curved as in the picture:

View media item 41694
How easy is it going to be with that curved piece at the top? I cannot tell if that curved piece comes out when the side beading is removed or if it is a permanent part of the frame. The double glazed units are quite thin and I think I would have to get replacements exactly the same thickness due to that curved piece.

Ideally I would replace the frames with upvc but thats gonna be over a grand, where I really just want to make them look half decent for selling the house and 5 double glazed units shouldnt come anywhere near that!

Sponsored Links
Curve is cosmetic, does not require removal, remove beading and lower glass out from unit, bottom first , replacement is reversal.

Looks like unit is square, the top curved bead is just pinned in like the rest of the beads and will come out easy peasey

yeah the unit is definitely square - what I was a bit worried about was if the curved bit was not removable and the glass was stuck to the inside of the frame it might not be easy to tap it out? I'll have to have a look this weekend. Is the best way to remove the existing beading to prise it off with a chisel or knock the pins all the way through?

Sponsored Links
yeah the unit is definitely square - what I was a bit worried about was if the curved bit was not removable and the glass was stuck to the inside of the frame it might not be easy to tap it out? I'll have to have a look this weekend. Is the best way to remove the existing beading to prise it off with a chisel or knock the pins all the way through?
Yes just remove beading, the glass is not fixed at the top just slides down and out.

ok, whats the best way to remove the beading :oops:

I had a closer look on saturday and they are puttied in and the putty seems quite hard - no idea when they were done but I would say a long time ago! I dont want to wreck the frames by prising off with a chisel (I can see a couple of marks where this has been done in the past).

The beading has a recess on it where it meets the frame so it looks like there is a groove between frame and beading when it is in place - havent seen anything like this at the diy stores if I need to replace any of it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back