Arched Doorway with glazed sidelights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just had a new front door fitted, its an arch with a curved toplight and two curved sidelights. I'm not too happy with the way the glass has been installed. You can see the silver edge of the glazed unit protruding into the view. I've attached a couple of photos that hopefully illustrate this.

The company are insisting that because of the way the units are made, being bent by a machine (which i would think would make it more accurate not less it is inevitable that the glass and the frame may not be 100% aligned.

Am I being too picky or is this shoddy fitting? The door/frame was not cheap!

View media item 66868This 1st image you can see the edge of the glass unit coming into the frame just below the curve

View media item 66867This 2nd Image you can see at the top of the curve where it bends horizontally the silver edge of the glass unit comes into what should be just glass

Thanks for any advice

Stewart

Sponsored Links
No your not being picky although please don't blame the fitters as they didn't make the dgu's, the glass shop has made an awful job to be honest especially the bottom one, that is shocking and absolutely no excuse for sealing a unit up like that without rejecting it

Out of interest who was the company?

Cheers crank39,

Well first the fitters put the two sidelights in the wrong side (i.e. right in left and vice versa) so that looked horrendous and they sent someone back to have a look and he has improved it, but they are saying that its as good as its going to be, obviously you cant polish a turd though!

Its the composite door company (www.compositedoorcompany.com). There are a few other bits i'm not happy with and to be fair they have sorted the majority but this last bit they are less happy to change, got the manager coming out in a couple of days so will see what he has to say.

Thanks again, feel better standing my ground with them now.

Stew

Sponsored Links
From what i can see in the top picture the dgu looks too narrow and like you say the spacer bar is showing proud of the gasket and you can't edge it over to the right anymore because you clearly haven't got enough coverage on the left, you may also find it might not go over to the right even if they tried maybe because the curve in the glass is already hard up against the pvc in the top right corner, the manager needs to flick the beads out and have a look at the general fit of the dgu within the frame, its a simple fix and not that expensive, £30 for a toughened stippolite dgu

The bottom picture clearly shows the spacer bar in the top sloping, the reason is the spacer bar with the bend in it on the left has ended up too short because of the bend thus pulling the top spacer down so they could join the corners together, if the dgu was lifted slightly you could hide the sloping bar behind the bead but thats assuming you have plenty of coverage at the bottom, my guess you havent, the unit also wants to go over to the right to gain more coverage as it seems you have plenty on the left from what i can see in the pic, the guy who sealed the unit clearly has no pride in his work and may as well be a robot, who knows maybe they were sealed up with an automated machine? Either way it needs a new dgu making so another £30

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back