Wood windows/glazing tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I think I need to re-install all of my dg units. Approx 70+ 24"x12" panes.

They are all quite drafty, and looking at the frame through the glass I can see no evidence of glazing tape or putty having been used.

Having looked through the forums (lots of old posts circa 2003/4/5), I think I need to use glazing tape to seal up all the windows.

All the windows are externally beaded (if thats the correct term), so I think I need security glazing tape, i.e. double sided.

I assume that I only need to apply the tape to the inside of the glass/frame not the outside.

Adding additional thickness to the units (by applying tape) will mean there is a lip (or more of a lip) where the beading protrudes form the frame, is this a problem? do I need to plane the beading down a bit so its flush?

Anyone have any thoughts or useful comments for me?
Is glazing tape the best thing for the job?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes glazing tape is what you need, you can get it in 2,3,4,5mm thickness so obviously the thicker you use the more the bead will stick out, beads always look better either set in or set out a couple of mm, never have them flush as you'll never get the bead flush with the sash all the way around especially if they're puttied, if they are already proud then use 2mm tape, if not use 4mm but its entirely your choice as i won't see them from my house ;)

Apply it to the frame, peel away the backing, spray with either glass cleaner or just water and then push the unit onto the tape, the water will allow you a degree of movement to set the unit central on the opening, after a while the water evapourates and leaves the glass stuck to the tape

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back