Replacement DG units in wooden frames

11 Dec 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi, i am going to replace some misted DG units in my wooden window frames. I sussed out thanks to this site that i'll fix the new units in with security glazing tape and sit them on glazing blocks.

My question is do i then fill any void between the new unit and wooden rebate with silicon before i replace the wooden beading? This will effectivley prevent any water reaching the edge of the new DG units. The ones i have at the moment do not have the silicon just tape/then the beading and they have blown.

Sponsored Links
the correct method would be to bed them on butyl tape using glazing packers, then seal the gap between unit and frame with low modulus silicon neutral cure. ( do dot use cheap assatoxic silicons as this can eat into the perimeter sealant on the unit and you will end up with more failed not use putty either,same result. if you cannot get hold of butyl tape use butyl compound. hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links