Replacement DG Units in wood frames

28 Apr 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi, I've recently moved into a house that has windows in various states of repair. The frames are wooden and are beaded externally. Some of the older units have misted and need replacing. It appears that someone has tried to replace (badly) some units previously but with thinner glass, this is now loose in the frames and I can feel gaps between the glass and the beading. I want to replace/repair these myself but before I order new units a stupid question. Without taking the old glass out first, where should I measure to to order the new units? To the edge of the beading nearest the frame and what gap should I allow? I was going to use glazing tape and then replace the beading with some new stuff.
Sponsored Links
Take a total of 6mm off (3mm on each side)

You can give them the tight measurement then they will allow for it, the problem is if they remembered to take 6mm off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links