Custom Fridge Freezer Integration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a small split level house on an incline, extended and divided into two flats, creating some "unique" spaces. In order to create more space in our kitchen for a table and chairs I'm looking to move our fridge freezer.

We have two options, under counter or in a recess in the hallway.

Under counter is standard but takes up valuable cabinet space and the recess option could be "open" without a problem. But I like the idea of having doors that are flush to the hallway wall. Again, not a problem if we could opt for an integrated fridge freezer.

The only problem is that the integrated fridge freezers have a standard size that is slightly too large for the recess. Which leaves me with the only option of buying a stand-alone appliance that fits.

So I'd like to know if it's possible to attach integrated fridge-freezer sliders to a stand-alone appliance? Or if there's some DIY method or specific kit to do it?

Basically, I want to create a custom integrated fridge freezer set-up.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
why is the recess too small - can you make it bigger?
I was surprised when I changed my standalone slimline dishwasher for a built in, that the whole thing was a different chassis.
I had assumed that they had a common design and the outer core was added - not so

Thanks Tigercubrider.

I can't make the recess bigger unfortunately, I would in fact already be making it smaller to make my plan work.

The previous owner had a large standalone fridge in the same hallway location (under the neighbours staircase), but you had to descend three steps from the kitchen and turn back on yourself to then open the fridge adjacent to the steps. So I am planning on elevating the recess floor to be at the same level as the kitchen, and orientating it so that it's more-or-less facing into the kitchen.

Except for the height there's plenty of room for a stand-alone fridge, the depth and width will not be a problem so I do not need a slimline chassis. I just need to know if there's a method for attaching a cupboard door to a fridge door. Basically an improvised roller that attaches to the fridge without compromising it's functionality.

I really cannot find anything comparable online.

However, I can see the kits for integrated appliances and they look like they could be applied to any fridge as long as the front was flat.

I'm sure if it's ok to screw into an integrated fridge freezer then a regular fridge should be ok too right? Or I could just use double side adhesive pads on the slider to save damaging the fridge.

I have an old fridge that I could experiment with before committing to a new one anyway.

Attachments

• HPTC00113973_A-351x351.jpg
    HPTC00113973_A-351x351.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
my point about the dishwasher (slimline or otherwise) was that the unit was physically different to a standalone one.
It had metal brackets fitted to the front, and supplied the other bracket halves in a pack along with a paper template and loads of screws.

It is quite hard to position the appliance so that the doors line up along a run.
with a fridge, you need to allow ventilation as they get hot at the back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back