Replacing integrated fridge freezer with a tall fridge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am interested in whether this would work. Our fridge freezer seems to have died and probably isn't going to be worth replacing. It is an integrated one (55/45 ratio I think?) with 2 separate cabinet doors at the moment, for the fridge and freezer parts. But we were wondering about replacing it with a tall fridge, and putting a separate freezer elsewhere, to get more fridge space.

We can't easily replace the cabinet doors, as the kitchen was installed some time ago so it would be very hard to get new doors to match the old ones on everything else (even if we could find out where they were from, I think they've faded a bit so a new one would look wrong). But I wondered whether it would be possible to get a tall fridge the same size as the existing fridge-freezer, and fix both cabinet doors onto the single fridge door.

Do you think this would work, or are there practical problems I've not thought of/would it look odd with 2 cabinet doors on one fridge door?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
If your fridge/freezer has slider fittings for the decor door meaning that the decor door isnt attached directly on the fridge/freezer then i coudnt see a problem .Just get a few brackets to attach both doors together and make sure your new fridge is slider fitting not door on door.

can you get these fittings to put a cosmetic door on a non-integrated appliance?

can you get these fittings to put a cosmetic door on a non-integrated appliance?

Check your measurements first. Integrated appliances are usually a bit narrower than non-integrated so they can fit inside a 600mm cabinet - the non-integrated is already 600mm wide. Ditto with the depth. And the doors on non-integrated will be shaped in some way to look nice, where the doors on integarted units are flat and featureless because they're in a cupboard.

PJ

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's good to know! We are still deciding whether to just get another fridge-freezer or 2 separates, but at least then we have the option. The old one is a slider fit so it sounds as though that should work.

but I have a 600mm wide freestanding FF, can I put a 600mm wide door over it? how?

but I have a 600mm wide freestanding FF, can I put a 600mm wide door over it? how?

You won't fit it inside a standard 600mm cabinet, you'll have to build something and tailor it to fit - means you'd have a kitchen cupboard wider than all the others. Unless you plan to stand the fridge between two other cupboards and then put a door over the front.

You could hinge the door from the outside of one of the adjoining cupboards, but you'll still have to check the depth of the fridge to see if it will slide all the way back and allow the door to fit flush with the neighbouring units.

PJ

I will put it beside the end unit, not inside one. I can make an end-piece to fix the door to, but would prefer to fix the door to the appliance. The old freezer is inside a tall 600 unit but I will take out the whole unit and put the new FF there.

I can see that it might stick out a bit, or I could pull out the adjacent unit to match (there is only one as it is close to a corner.

Does that sound OK? How might I fix the decor door?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back