customised bought kitchen units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning my (smallish) U shaped kitchen - (not decided whether to go to ikea/howdens/wickes yet but will be fitted by a joiner )

I have the soil stack & water feeds running up one corner of the kitchen wall (boxed in 22cm by 35cm -but can be changed a bit)

If I allow for this in base units (and so leave a void) makes fitting in rest of units a bit of a pain (so far have (different) problems with howdens & ikea)
Now thinking I could get a standard size unit and customise it - ie chop the back corner out....or even just shorten it to a non specific size?
(so say 1200mm shelved unit with a 60mm door -but make into a 1000mm unit keeping 60mm door)

How feasible is that ? I think a joiner could do it easily -am I right?

Sponsored Links
I'm sure a joiner could make a decent job of reducing a kitchen base unit - just the shelf and bottom bit to sort, together with the carcass rails.
Maybe you could choose a unit with a plainish door so that if its cut down to fill the remaining gap, it doesn't look too out of place?
John :)

That's very interesting ....that's my other alternative to get a base unit from elsewhere ...

I know Ikea don't leave gaps behind units at all and their corner units fit snug into corners ...(I planned the Ikea kitchen where I live now -which I love and has survived really well over last almost 5 yrs*)

Howdens could do it and leave a gap but the only way I can fit in drawers is as one unit and with them it would ideally be a 500mm one which they only do as 2 or 5 drawers - which means I can't have pans AND cutlery sensibly in drawers :mad: :evil: (I could have a 400mm with 3 drawers but they are small for pans and then I would need a 100mm filler)

*Ikea have been fantastic... :D
First my children used the drawer handles as a ladder to climb up ...my fault completely for not noticing sooner - the screws snapped off and Ikea posted me a bag full- no charge...
Secondly had problems with my kitchen mixer tap - cartridge went - Ikea sent me new ones (no charge) - replaced the dripping one but 6 months later the lever top of same tap starting spinning on cartridge (maybe not quite a snug fit - or maybe keep trying to turn it off when it was dripping?)
They didn't do replacement tops for that tap - so they sent me a whole new tap (same price as one being replaced as they don't do that model anymore) - still under guarantee so no charge - AND paid for my plumber to fit it for me (as their fitters weren't in the area) :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Lots of kitchen suppliers and options, don't limit yourself to a small range.
Take a look at Benchmarx and online suppliers.

Fitted a replacement kitchen (B&Q) for my daughter last year. It included a 1000mm base cut down to 950 to work around the soil stack fitted with one 600mm door in one corner. In the other corner there is a 1000mm unit with a 400 door, difficult to get into but at least it is storage space. The first has a piece of an "end panel" fitted beside the door, the other is fitted as a corner unit.

Gave her far more storage space than the original "custom made" kitchen.

Some imagination and a router mean you can do many things as long as you can get doors in different sizes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back