cut cables in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
while laying loft insulation i came across several junction boxes screwed to joists which had cut cables coming from them whilst also having cables going elsewhere in loft.as everything in bungalow seems to be working fine would it be safe to remove these cut cables. thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Cut cables that have been left in place usually indicates a rushed job (I'm being polite) so I would be very careful.

If you have a mains tester carefully take the lid of the junction box and check that they are dead, L-N L-E & N-E

get yourself a tester.test everything for dead first.then when you removed the old cables,energise the lighting and go to the last point on the circuit and prove the earth.

if your messing with power then split the ring somewhere and test between live and live ,neutral and neutral and earth and earth to make sure you havent removed something you shouldnt have.after testing for dead.

above alll,if you lack confidence in doing the above in any way then call a sparks instead.this is only a basic test and does not fully prove the circuits

Sponsored Links
simple solution...

take a torch into the loft with you and turn the whole house off first at the main switch..

that way the cables are guarunteed to be dead..

remove the cut cables and re-tighten all connections and make safe ( earth sleeving of earth wires are often missing in jb's.. )

And see where the 'long length' go - you may find them cut too, and the joint boxes you see where left in situ after a rewire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back