Wrong Cable cut!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I've made a bit of a school boy error!!!

I've wired up some loft lights and planned to wire them in to an existing junction box in the loft but the junction boxes are mounted underneath plinths of wood that are fixed between the rafters.
So, I decided to cut in to one of the mains supply cables and add a junction box that I mounted high up on to the side of a rafter so that it sat above the loft insulation.
Unfortunately, when I re instated the upstairs lighting circuit, the loft lights only came on very dim and then I noticed that as I was switching the loft lights on and off, the upstairs bathroom light was going on and off!!!!
I'd identified the wrong cable to cut in to! It was the cable between the light fitting and the switch!! Doh!

Anyway, I now want to re joint the cable together and remove the junction box so that no one else in the future makes the same mistake and assumes that the junction box is suitable for running a lighting spur or any other circuit off.

What's the best and safest method of doing this? I know that its bad practice to use terminal block (not to mention dangerous in a loft).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Removing the JB won't stop someone else making the same mistake.

Either fit a JB and mark the lid "No Neutral Connection Inside" or replace the cable between switch & fitting altogether.

Sponsored Links
Standard JB and sleeved accordingly - no point in labels and no point in using anything different to the norm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back