Loft light not quite working as it should

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have moved my upstairs landing light around 2 metres. There were 3 cables, 2 of which were long enough to move and 1 which wasn't. I have added a junction box to the 3rd cable and extended this cable with 1.5mm twin and earth. New light has been fitted in the new location and it's working without issue. Whilst I was adding the junction box I figured I would use it as an opportune time to add a permanent light to the loft and added another cable to the junction box and extended it to a switch and then onto a fixed bayonet. Incoming live is wired into com on the swith and outgoing live is wired into L1. Neutrals are wired together in a 5amp connector as are the 2 earths as there is no earth terminal in the plastic switch box.

The new switch and light work as expected except that when you turn the landing light on it turns off the loft light. I'm assuming this is because the cable I extended on the landing light was the switch cable, 2 Browns and an earth. Not a major issue but I would rather it worked correctly.

Is the fix for this to remove the loft light cable from the junction box and split one of the other cables with a junction box and run the loft light cable from there or do I need to find another ceiling rose that isn't 2 way and split that with a junction box?

Thanks in advance for everyone's time

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have perm live in com and switch wires in a connector..so light is controlled by both switches...

you need a permanent live and neutral and earth into a jbox then a permanent live switch live and earth from yhe j box to the switch then from the j box a switch live neutral and earth to the light

so a 4 terminal jbox terminal 1 perm live.. 2 neutral..3.switch live ..4..earth..

The two cables that reached the new position should be PL, N, and E so run you new loft light cable to ceiling rose and connect to those. Use 1.0mm cable, it's easier and all that is required.

Sponsored Links
Is the fix for this to remove the loft light cable from the junction box and split one of the other cables with a junction box and run the loft light cable from there or do I need to find another ceiling rose that isn't 2 way and split that with a junction box?

Ideally you try to avoid any junction boxes or at least keep it to a minimum.

The circuit sounds like the neutrals and perm lives are looped in to the ceiling lights.

There maybe a fitting that has only two cables, this could be the last fitting on the lopped circuit. If it is practicable to so, I would take my feed to the loft light from that fitting, rather than cut in to and re-joint a cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back