Metal Conduit in Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to reinsulate and lay some loft boards, but I have some rigid metal conduit rising into the loft (with live Twin & Earth) going above the rafter line stopping this.

what's best...

CAREFULLY (with power off of course) cut just the conduit with a junior hacksaw so it can lay down (and therefore keep the cable conduited)?

or

Still power off, but cut through everything and rejoin the two cable halves in a terminal junction box?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Where do the cables go to/from?

They run up to the rafters in conduit?

Why?

Photos....

Shouldn't cut anything with cables still inside...

Turn power off.
Pull cables up.
Shorten conduits.
Jamb some plastic oval conduit over the end to stop cable rubbing on metalwork.
Re-instate cable.

Why is there conduit?

Why does it go up so high?

Where does it run when it's high up?

What type of cables are inside the conduit?

Is the conduit a cpc?

PHOTOS.....

Sponsored Links
As I can only imagine, I think the conduit was orginally part of complete 'grip' conduit system, of which was fitted over the joists.
I think it was then re-wired in PVC PVC (as mentioned), removing much of the conduit bar the switcvh drops, which were re-used.

This could explain the switch conduits being higher than the joist top level.
I wouldn't expect the switch conduits to be earthed now.

Thanks both for the advice.

sparkwright - i think you're right about the original system. I've had to pull out a load of metal grips all over the joists that look as though they'd clip something of the size of the remaining conduit.

I was trying to avoid pulling any cables up as access in the main house is tricky - everything is neat down there...

thanks again

I want to reinsulate and lay some loft boards, but I have some rigid metal conduit rising into the loft (with live Twin & Earth) going above the rafter line stopping this.
How far above?

Could you raise the level of the joists by fixing battens on top? (Get more insulation that way.)

Could you insulate between the joists and then place insulated boards, or rigid insulation and your own boards, on top, with channels cut for the wires? (Get more insulation that way.)

Isolate the circuit - remove switch from wall - connect string to cable - pull cable back up into loft with string attached - cut conduit to lower height minding not to cut string - de-burr the end of conduit - drop a pvc adaptor onto conduit if one will fit - reconnect cable to string - pull cable back down conduit - refit switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back