RCBOs, earthed metal conduit

Sponsored Links
Maybe he didn't know that an RCBO is an RCD (and an MCB) in one package??

It's taken me a while to get back to check the forum, nothing to do with the wine I had before reading the regs, mind!

Thanks for the pointer, you're right, I misread the OSG. After that first thought, I was also scratching my head wondering why the "safe zones" had disappeared, but it turns out they haven't either. :oops:

So, it seems that the 20m of capping I ordered from TLC may now be redundant... I'll get some sticky tape instead and save myself a lot of chasing! :LOL:

it is likewise not suitable for mechanical protection as it is not thick enough to prevent penetration by screws or nails..

Is this the general view or a personal preference? :confused: I have one run of lighting cable that I will need to mechanically protect - it will come down from the ceiling and then turn through a right-angle before terminating in a 5A socket. All this is due to a window preventing a "straight down" run.

Sponsored Links
Afaict (and most electricians i've bumped into on theese forums agree) metal capping is not sufficiant to protect against the most likely kind of damge to a cable burried in a wall, namely someone drilling a hole with a power drill or someone banging in a nail.

If you absoloutely have to run outside the safe zones you should use either cable with a built in earthed metal layer or earthed steel conduit.

Ah, thanks Plugwash. Looks like I'll be breaking out the old tap'n'die and putting in some conduit.

What counts as "cable with a built in earthed metal layer"? All I can think of is SWA and pyro cable, is there something more commonly used in such situations?

SWA and pyro are fine as are some of the more modern fire resistant cables. There is also "ali tube" cable which has appeared fairly recently for this kind of purpose (also for non-rcd circuits) but seems to be a pain to get hold of..

Split con (which has an earth layer arround some of the diameter and a neutral layer arround the rest) used to count but doesn't seem to any more under the 17th

Since it's only a single drop steel conduit is probablly the best option. You should probablly bend the conduit rather than making hidden joints if possible.

if you don't have access to a bender then you can buy pre-formed radiused bends and just screw 2 straight pieces into them..

Preformed bends - yuk! :LOL:

I believe in the oldern days they used to use a block of wood with a hole in it to bend conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back