eathed metal conduit or capping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is earthed metal capping just as as good as using earthed metal conduit the reason I ask is that I have to run a cable form a cooker switch to a cooker connection unit but cannot run horizontally or vertically or in any of the zones where no protection is required and the regs state i must use earthed metal conduit, trunking or ducting.

Sponsored Links
since conduit is cylindrical it gives mechanical protection all round, capping only gives mechanical protection from the elevation it was fitted. but for what you are doing capping will be fine.

just thinking as you said
but cannot run horizontally or vertically
which way are you going to run it diagonaly, or into the 4th dimension?

Can't agree Breezer, regs state conduit, trunking or ducting, which must be earthed. Capping is none of these.

i dont want to be picky, but he could use plastic trunking that can not be earthed

Sponsored Links
You can't use plastic in this situation. Regs state "must be enclosed in earthed metal conduit, trunking or ducting........."

Regulation 522-06-06 :)

Thanks for clearing that up, wots the best way to fix it to the wall bfore plastering, spacer bar saddles still space it off the wall a little[/u]

shaggy said:
....unless it's 50mm deep though Jerry?

Yep, that's true. But in reality what's more likely (and safer). I'd go the earthed conduit method every time. :)

Also you shouldn't cut such a deep chase in a wall less than 300mm thick (as a single skin - cavity wall doesn't count here) as Building Regs require horizontal chases to be less than one sixth the thickness of the wall.

I know diagonal is not quite horizontal (!) but you can see where I'm coming from?? :LOL:

I presume the chase has to be 50mm deep PLUS the cable thickness, so that the closest face of the cable is 50mm deep?

That needs one mother of a thick wall :eek:

clarke24 said:
Thanks for clearing that up, wots the best way to fix it to the wall bfore plastering, spacer bar saddles still space it off the wall a little[/u]

Use Crampets, see tlc for details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back