Chasing brick walls for plastic conduit

Sponsored Links
HDMI cables and connectors vary fairly wildly in size, I'll have to agree with the cat5e suggestion.

Sponsored Links
Hello.

Interesting replies.

Yeah I know my measurements arent quite correct.

As for using oval conduit, no thanks. It's not big enough and would have to run multiple tubes.

I don't need to run hdmi. I need to run satellite cables, tv cable, networking cables and possibly power. Yes I know about separating data cables from power cables.

I have about 15-18mm of render and plaster before I get to the brick. 20mm tube sits slightly proud without any chipping away of the brickwork.

Box conduit was suggested at work and go wider rather than deeper, not affecting brickwork.

I basically want plenty of room to allow any upgrading etc!

My current wiring uses oval conduit for the power and tv signal. When I changed my tv cable into the existing back box I struggle to get 2 cables down it.

As for running on top of the wall, this is partly possible as I could run it down my airing cupboard, but then need to get it from the airing cupboard to the backbox on the wall over the other side of the room!

I think there's quite a misconception amongst a lot of people who think you have to use all fancy leads for HD.

It's just a digital signal. Nothing fancy just lots of 1s and 0s going along a wire.

Look at this nonsense for example
clicky

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You can get 4 (FOUR) "standard" sized TV coax cables down a 32mm white oval conduit. You may struggle adding one if you initially put 2 or 3 in, but you can certainly get 4 down - did it in my house, all the way from living room past bedroom and into attic. Slid the cables in from the top.
Just make absolutely sure that the inevitable join has chamfered internal edges and is perfectly lined up - and taped to keep plaster out !

On HDMI, yes you can use converter and cat 5e or cat6 - but that means more boxes (with power supplies) to hide. They also cost more than a 5m cable to go up, across, and down to behind the wall mounted telly. In my mates case, it's possible he might actually end up with a matrix switch - most of these use cat5/6 cables anyway, but he'll still end up with half a dozen cables to fit in (3 sources, 2 cables each).

CT125, no. CT100, yes - that's what I was using. Slid four of them all the way down from loft, past bedroom, to box in living room - but you have to keep them laid in a flat four, they won't fit if twisted. I was surprised to find that I could actually push some of the spare back up from the bottom as well, I'd assumed they'd jam if I tried that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back