Chasing conduit into brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Not sure this is the right forum, but I'm wanting to know some info on channeling into a wall to run conduit...

Basically I want to put 2 20mm plastic conduit tubes in a wall so I can run cables from my lounge into the loft. I have already installed the back box. Is it ok to cut a channel 40mm wide x 20mm deep to run this plastic conduit? This won't affect the structure of the wall will it? I'd like to cut 1 single wide channel and run the 20mm conduit in parallel.

My Walls are double brick cavity filled with render and plaster on the internals. The reason I want to run 2 conduit tubes is I have lots of cables I want to get into the lounge for audio, video, satellite and networking!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I forgot to say, I want to then plaster over the conduit so the cables and conduit cannot be seen. Then if I want to pull some more cables in for future upgrades it should be easy!

The only thing I'd say is that a 20mm conduit isn't that big - especially if you are wanting to pull (eg) TV coax cables through. You might be better looking at a small rectangular trunking which in the same size of chase would give you more space for cables. I've been helping a friend with his bungalow - due to his plans for high end AV, we've used 25x40 trunking down to one box as we expect to be wanting to feed multiple HDMI leads down (amongst others) :eek:

If your plaster is thick enough, a wide oval conduit (or two) might avoid the need to chase into brick - whether that's an issue depends on how hard your brick is, and what tools are to hand.

With a bit of cutting, it's fairly easy to open up a hole in most boxes so you can get the very end of the conduit into the box (ie avoid having a hidden dogleg behind the plaster).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back