Cut section of dry lined wall and replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

quick question, I have a radiator that has leaked. The pipes run into the wall rather than down into the floor boarding. To get to the pipe I am going to have to cut through the plaster board (which is dry lined rather than plastered).

What is the best way for fixing the hole? Take off the whole board and replace or can you get dry lined cutable boards to attach some how?

Sorry if its a dumb question.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You can do either. Cut it and do what you have to and then see where you're at. It's not a big deal either way.

best way is to peace in two wooden studs in the hole fixing it either side of the hole through the plaster board
then fix in a peace of plasterboard in the hole if you can cut out te hole in one peace the use that
use plasterers paper tape with easyfill
spread a small amount over the lines running the tape in place spreading the excess easyfill out then spread a layer over the top then sand it back second coat it sand it then paint

Sponsored Links
John, I believe it is a stud wall in the sense that the plaster board is about 3-4 inches away from the actual brick work.

John, I believe it is a stud wall in the sense that the plaster board is about 3-4 inches away from the actual brick work.

If you work out where the studs are you may be able to do some of the cutting up against the stud and then cut back a bit more on top of the stud.
This would make it easier for fixing a replacement section, as part of the stud would be available to drywall screw into providing a flush finish against the neighbouring board(s).
Not sure how much you're thinking of cutting out.

I've also in the past when patching a ceiling, done the cut so that two joists provide support on left & right edge of board section. At the top and bottom I've stuck a strip of p/board top and bottom (as a noggin) & secured with drywall adhesive and let it go hard for 24 hrs. Then used some more drywall adhesive to secure the replacement top and bottom in addition to drywall screws along left & right into joists. Not sure if this is robust enough for a wall :confused:
Pros - would be interested in your opinion if noggins out of p/board like this are a no-no for the future. Ta.

Pros - would be interested in your opinion if noggins out of p/board like this are a no-no for the future. Ta.

It won't be any weaker than the original p/board . It's a handy fix. If you need fixings in there , you need noggins but, other wise I've never seen any issues with it.!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back