Cutting a newell post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got 2 newels (non supporting - it's an 'L' shape ballustrade on the first floor). I have bought some new drop-in newels with a 50mm dowel on the base, so I need to cut the existing newels off and drill a 50mm hole into the newell at the correct depth. My questions are as follows:

1) Cutting and shaping the existing newels:
- what is the best way to cut these straight (they are fixed in the vertical position) - mark the right angles and use a hand saw? - or can I use a circular saw? (900mm square) When cut what is the best way to create the chamfers? - surform and sander?

2) Cutting the 50mm hole
I have a standard hand drill and 50mm circle cutter (circular steel ring with teeth type) - is this the best way to cut the 50mm hole? I'm also concerned about not getting it plum? I expect it will have a little movement but I am using a cross wedge in the bottom of the newells, (http://www.spindlesandstairparts.co.uk/fixingsolutions.htm)
so once they have been put in they should be tight.

Any advice appreciated - if you can advise me of any tools I may need to buy then that would also be appreciated.

thanks

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=271486#ixzz1JtIQdRZX

Sponsored Links
For the 50mm hole, I used a forstner bit, you could use a holesaw but not a bimetal version, you would do better with a tct version that has large gullets to allow the sawdust to escape.

hi, i would use a handsaw for the cut, just mark the newell with a square then cut away with a relativley fine saw aprox 8tpi+

then you could use as said a forstner bit, or a holesaw,but with the holesaw you have to cut out the remainder of the newell

just make sure the newell looks similar to the rest before fitting, eg rounded edges? or chamfered top?

and make sure you drill the hole to the correct depth, as if the newell is dowelled in the centre and the hole drilled too deep the tapered dowell wont properly fit

hope this helps
tom :D

Mark and then cut with a hand saw. Mark the centre of the existing newel post then drill the hole. Shape the chamfers after drilling the hole, using a sander )probably better than a surform. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Thank's that's useful. Anyone know what height UK regs say the ballustrade should be at?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back