Cutting conifers, cool long reach tool out there?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have those awful conifers at the bottom of my garden. They were planted I'd say about 8 years ago and are now at house roof height. They look messy, and need kicking in to shape before they can be regularly maintained.

I've trimmed the odd branch over the last few years, but now I need to chop the tops and bring them down by, say, 12-15ft or so. Clearly, something like a cherry picker would be ideal and I'd hire one (I did before to repair some guttering, I like them!) but I can't get this to the back garden.

A ladder? perhaps, but even with a decent ladder I still need something to cut them. I have a chainsaw, but I like my arms and fingers. Not sure I'd reach with a handsaw.

I have one of those long reach "pull string" cutters but I don't think it will be able to cut the diameter.

So...is there a cool tool I can buy to do this job? It must have a long reach, say 3-4m and must be able to cut through, say, 70mm (I'm guessing) trunk and branches?

Sponsored Links
Take that much off them and they will probably die - as happened to some I inherited . The previous owners took that or more off to "tidy" the garden and before 2 years were out I had to dig the c-rap things out and plant new which have been clipped by me and the next owner and look great ( as I pass by often ) Si I would say get them down and replant/control the b'ggers:notworthy:

Been there as a fool hardy youngster..... NEVER again.

Best advice is to employ a tree surgeon to tackle the task. They have the tools, the safety equipment and the skills. They also have the insurance cover should there be any damage to property.

If they're Leylandii, it's worth bearing in mind that prolonged exposure to the sap can cause dermatitis.

I took out 50 metres of the stuff, up to 15 feet tall, and had contact dermatitis on my hands (and feet!) for months.

Leylandii, almost as nasty as uPVC windows :mrgreen:

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Local hire shop will have a chainsaw on a stick.
This comes up on special offer for around £200 every few weeks Expand-it Click
Stay on the ground (or in a basket) and wear full protective kit when using any type of chainsaw/wood-cutter.

depending on the shape and make up of the tree carefully climbing and cutting with a pruning hand saw may be best. If your not confident or the branches dont allow it to be done safely then its a no go.

A good tripod ladder will get you up to a good height and a polesaw (chainsaw on stick) will do the rest. I have a tripod ladder that is 14ft high and can confortably cut hedging up to 18ft high.

You can easily hire a long reach hedge trimmer but may find it hard to find a polesaw for hire.

Local hire shop will have a chainsaw on a stick.
This comes up on special offer for around £200 every few weeks Expand-it Click
Stay on the ground (or in a basket) and wear full protective kit when using any type of chainsaw/wood-cutter.
Quickest way to a head amputation in untrained hands

I have no knowledge of the original posters training. But, they are available for the general public to purchase/use, I have no control over that.
I totally agree with you, they are extremely dangerous even with training.

If in doubt, get a professional in to do it for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back