cutting non-wood skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have had some walls in our house damp-proofed and need to replace the skirting boards. I've matched the ones in the kitchen and they were wooden and easy to cut to the correct shape and fit.

However, the only match I could find (locally) for the one in the lounge has been delivered by the DIY store and it's made from 'extruded polystyrene'. Now I am a complete DIY novice and would normally call on an expert to help with any project but all I need to do is cut this skirting board to fit the wall with an angled end to fit into the corner where the old skirting board is in place but FOR LOVE NOR MONEY I cannot get a good, clean cut on this polystyrene stuff when using a normal saw.

Is there a special type of saw used to cut this stuff?
Many thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
A very fine sharp saw should do it and cut it slowly.

Sponsored Links
These mitre block come with fine saw teeth which is ideal for what you want, if you shop around some are selling them for under a tenner !
05-01-001.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back