Cutting Square Skirting Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been working on a complete refurb of our house and we've now reached the point of laying the skirting boards. I've done a bit research on the best methods of cutting the angles for the external and internal corners. It seems the best approach for external is to miter them and with internal corners to cut out the profile of the skirting and butt straight up to the face of the other board. How would you recommend I cut the corners for the type of skirting I have shown in the below link?

http://goo.gl/3YM0Ci

Would I miter them instead or cut a small slither from both the top and bottom to leave the recesses protruding and so fitting to the face of the board?

Hope this all makes sense and any guidance or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
Look up "scribed joints"

You will need to practice a bit.

That's what I thought but I just wasn't sure how you might do it with a square board like the ones I'm using (Shown in the link)

Sponsored Links
That's what I thought but I just wasn't sure how you might do it with a square board like the ones I'm using (Shown in the link)
Because the profile is very shallow you don't need to cut a full width bevel - just one wide enough to accommodate the full depth of the two mouldings. That probably means only 4 to 6mm. Then scribe with a coping saw as normal introducing a few degrees of undercut to accommodate out of square walls (except for the last little bit at the top edge where it needs to be cut square, offered up and adjusted as required to fit)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back