Cutting pipe against a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to cut into a 15mm water pipe. I can't get a pipe slice in as it's against the wall!

Would cutting with a metal cutting disc on my angle grinder be ok?

Will the disc cutter cause contamination problems as it's the cold water pipe to the tap?

Sponsored Links
1. Agree with above, use a multi-tool.
2. If you must use an angle grinder, make sure its a battery one. Pipe is likely to have residual water, which won't go well with mains electricity.
3. Whichever method, run water through into a bucket when finished to wash away any debris.

1. Agree with above, use a multi-tool.
2. If you must use an angle grinder, make sure its a battery one. Pipe is likely to have residual water, which won't go well with mains electricity.
3. Whichever method, run water through into a bucket when finished to wash away any debris.
Never thought about the electricity :oops:

I might dig out the junior hacksaw, but I always seem to end up with a sash-cut pipe!

any tips for a good cut?

Sponsored Links
1. Get a piece of paper, fold in half to get a good straight edge.
2. Clean pipe.
3. Put paper round pipe, line up straight edge together at front and pinch together.
3. Mark round with a Sharpie type marker pen.
4. Start cut following line. Once started, move round and start a new groove in a new place. Do as far as you can access round pipe.
5. Cut though using start grooves.

A full size hacksaw blade (32 tpi) (e.g. Screwfix 3841X) with insulating tape wrapped around to form a handle is better than a junior hacksaw. Even easier to use if fitted in a part frame like Screwfix 5028V, particularly if you reverse the blade to cut on the pull stroke.

1. Get a piece of paper, fold in half to get a good straight edge.
2. Clean pipe.
3. Put paper round pipe, line up straight edge together at front and pinch together.
3. Mark round with a Sharpie type marker pen.
4. Start cut following line. Once started, move round and start a new groove in a new place. Do as far as you can access round pipe.
5. Cut though using start grooves.

A full size hacksaw blade (32 tpi) (e.g. Screwfix 3841X) with insulating tape wrapped around to form a handle is better than a junior hacksaw. Even easier to use if fitted in a part frame like Screwfix 5028V, particularly if you reverse the blade to cut on the pull stroke.
Excellent, thank you. I'll give it a try

I've used a mains grinder many times. The pipe would have to be live/pouring out water to cause a problem. Any drips just get thrown off by the blade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back