Cutting plywood.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for a blade for a circular saw that will cut across the grain without it chipping off the veneer edge face. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
I am looking for a blade for a circular saw that will cut across the grain without it chipping off the veneer edge face. Any ideas??

sometimes it depends on the ply wood ,some can be quite forgiving even with a corse blade but as a rule, fine cutting blade = more teeth No depending on circumference of blade other than that, try scribing the line with a knife, bear in mind the other side of the blade will break out

triple chip

if its only a few cuts then use a sacrificial bit off mdf on top

It's going to be quite a few cuts as i want to have a go at making some basic cabinets. I have a basic table saw and if that is not accurate enough I was thinking of investing in a plunge saw with guide.
Big All is triple cut a blade brand a search brought up an american site and wondered if they could be bought over here.

Sponsored Links
For cutting sheets its hard to beat a rail saw. Festool have upper chip guarding on both sides of the blade.
Nest step up after that is a panel saw with sliding carriage and scratcher blade.
Some say Mafell make a better rail saw. Bosch and Makita have models also.
Wouldn't swap my ts55 for any of them though.

For cutting sheets its hard to beat a rail saw. Festool have upper chip guarding on both sides of the blade.
Nest step up after that is a panel saw with sliding carriage and scratcher blade.
Some say Mafell make a better rail saw. Bosch and Makita have models also.
Wouldn't swap my ts55 for any of them though.

i have the dewalt 18v plunge best thing since sliced bread and i haven't used the dw62mains circular saws since in fact i gave it to the roofer with other stuff because he done a load more work on the roof for free :LOL:

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Triple_Chip_Blade_292.html
awsome eply. Thanks vey much for all the replies.
Big All is the dewalt that good. they always seem to go on about Festools or Makitsa rail saws

its great will cut 44mm but it chugs along and is near or at its maximum :D
if your doing up to 25mm it flies through no probs but would recommend 6ah + worth of battery capacity for continuous use although i have manage a full kitchen on 2 batteries you have off course the choice off 28v 36v 110v and 240v

as i already had more than enough batteries it was the best £235 i ever spent for 2x1.5m tracks and the machine ;)
other machines may be better but they in my opinion would only ever be worth the extra for bread and butter work where the are in use for highly accurate work day in day out where the final 0.5mm is crucial

in summary if you are doing more than around 5-7% thick worktops then 18v is hard work
if you are doing 25mm or less then great day in and day out

Cut with saw on the face you don't want showing. I do that and it may chip the face that won't be showing, but it's never chipped the underneath, which is the face I do have showing.

Thanks Salad fingers but both faces will be visible and I want a square edge. I prefer to invest in a dcent tool, pref mains, so if use it for cutting plywood I would also use to dut down fire check doors without having to score the face etc. So the right blade is important for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back