Cutting Steel Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just taken an old enamel solid steel bath out of the bathroom and replaced it with an old one. My other half and I nearly killed ourselves just getting it out into the hallway it was so heavy!!!

My question is - what is the best way to break the bath up in order for us to get it down the stairs and outside? We've tried using a sledgehammer - which hardly dented it. We have a grinder and a jack hammer. Would they be any good?

Sponsored Links
griss said:
Hi,

I've just taken an old enamel solid steel bath out of the bathroom and replaced it with an old one. My other half and I nearly killed ourselves just getting it out into the hallway it was so heavy!!!

You should drain the water first :LOL:

Steel baths shouldn't be that heavy, I assume as you dented it it can't be cast iron. I guess your best bet is an angle grinder. You should be able to get it downstairs in tact though.

One further point that may be of note, some councils will not take baths away. (ours won't)

My mistake it is cast iron...and weighs a ton. We thought that taking a sledge hammer to it would just cause it to crack - but no.

I'll try thr angle grinder then.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ear defenders, goggles, gloves, dust sheet and a sledge hammer. it will take a fair few knocks, but it will eventually go. once youve got the first break in it youve broken its structural strength and the rest is easy. Watch out as the cast iron shards are sharp and so is the ceramic coating. Put the dust sheet in the bath to deaden the noise and reduce the stuff flying about. I cut my leg on a pice of it once, got a nice 6" scar down my leg from it, so be warned.

Use you grinder with a metal cutting disc to cut through the top lip, (main strength) then a couple hits with a sledge should see it.

For cast iron, my tool of choice would still be the sledge hammer. Bath towel around the face, Goggles, leather gloves. Try to do it when the neighbours aren't sleeping.

go with thermo , i remember working with a plumber years ago and if you bang them down the centre and across like a cross it should break into four peices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back