Cycling campaigners welcome 'close pass' ruling

I drive a 7 mile stretch of A road
At 60mph that is 7 minutes.At 30 mph it is 14 minutes...I would guess the delay,at max is no longer ever than a few minutes once a twice a year...Car drivers are so impatient.

Sponsored Links
I drive a 7 mile stretch of A road
At 60mph that is 7 minutes.At 30 mph it is 14 minutes.....I would guess the delay,at max is no longer ever than a few minutes once a twice a year...Car drivers are so impatient.

Yeah right, some riders have no consideration for other road users.
Correct..Probably amounts to max of a few bikes a day on any stretch of road...Compared to ICE drivers..Stand on any busy stretch of road 30 seconds and someone will be speeding,too close,,on phone etc..No Comparison between vehicles and bikes,numbers wise...lethality of crashes,etc.Everyone likes to quote the exception.The norm is freekin loads of stupid crazy capers from motorised vehicles.

for little kids and doddery old dears but you're effectively a pedestrian at every street joining and leaving the road
Some countries,all the pavements are pedestrian/cycle sharing..Every road junction and driveway,the cycles have right of way..It is not difficult!!

Sponsored Links
At 60mph that is 7 minutes.At 30 mph it is 14 minutes.....I would guess the delay,at max is no longer ever than a few minutes once a twice a year...Car drivers are so impatient.
And I sure has become much worse this year!

Had abuse from a driver for slowing (him?) down to pull into my drive on one occasion this week.

Some countries,all the pavements are pedestrian/cycle sharing..Every road junction and driveway,the cycles have right of way..It is not difficult!!
The difference is that in most of those countries (mainly EU) they have more space and a different 'social model'.

In the UK there always seems to be an 'us and them' war going on...

Whether it be motorists vs cyclists, pedestrians vs cyclists etc...

The stupid thing is that most of us have been in all of those groups at one time or another!

This type of attitude thankfully is a minority.It is out on the outer limits of short sighted, selfish thinking.Cycling is great for physical health,mental health and the environment.Climate change,Covid,increasing obesity levels,etc,are concentrating peoples minds toward the future..We cannot just keep churning out cars and covering the planet in tarmac forever.
To a certain extent I agree with you and I do think, over the next x decades, we will see a move away from current transport methods to means that are more sustainable. However it's a massive change in the way we've lived and moved ourselves around for decades so it'll take almost as long to untangle it all. And I'm sure, as with many things, as younger generations come along that'll help as more will have a different mindset from the off.

The other massive challenge is we're trying to impose solutions on infrastructure that wasn't designed to adapt in that way. For example, I was driving along a local street I've not taken for a while. The council has extended the width of one side of the pavement, quite considerably. Fine, gives a wider walkway for pedestrians. However it's resulted in the two road lanes being reduced in width. No doubt that's a happy/intended consequence as it forces drivers (well the sensible ones at least) to slow down a bit. Some will still do their own thing speed wise. It's the same when cycle lanes are introduced, unless there's existing space to do it without impacting the existing road infrastructure, it causes problems. As has been discovered and reported in the media recently (some councils now lifting cycle lanes.)

It's the same with country roads. The twisties as you might call them. Yes, of course cyclists are entitled to use these roads, however they weren't really designed with that in mind. Narrow lanes, lots of sharp turns, dodgy edges with pot holes etc. So what is the vehicle driver to do? Drive literally everywhere at no more than 40 mph so they can take evasive action? Of course, some will say 'yes' to that question ;)

I'm far from being anti-bike. I used to bomb around the streets on my BMX then a street racer then a mountain bike. However that was 30+ years ago, roads in general a LOT busier now and drivers more impatient.

This thread is a bit pointless.

Some cyclists are ****s and some drivers are ****s and some of each don't have a clue.

So, instead of cyclist, substitute horse, mobility scooter and even pedestrian on a road with no pavement.

Just a slow moving vehicle.

As you see them coming, fling your arm out of the window and shout "1.5m you f****ng c**t".

knuckle.jpg

"Orangutans have an arm span of about 2.2 m"

Beats the knuckle draggers on here hands down :)

If you like those other countries so much why dont you move there!

:mad::D;)

_91222540_graphic169.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48181424

That looks easy.. Driver gets the 1.5m but cyclists generally do not consider the 0.75m. In total about 7.4 feet from kerb to passing vehicle.

'...driving too close is classed as careless driving and is punishable with a minimum penalty of three penalty points and £100 fine...'

How to measure ? Ok, filmed with a non distorting lens from behind- may work - what about a wide angle lens mounted behind the saddle on a bike ? No actual view of gap from bike to car.

The errors from the latter could cost someone their job - no wonder people are driving on the opposite carriageway just to be double sure.

Try driving around our area you could be stuck for ages behind the cyclist demanding a lot more space than the Scot in the photo.

-0-

Just like AGW manufactured by zealots with no opposition...

I learned ride on the A38 and A + B roads we were taught to be aware of vehicles behind and pull over when holding up following traffic.

-0-

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back