Cycling campaigners welcome 'close pass' ruling

However it's a massive change in the way we've lived and moved ourselves around for decades so it'll take almost as long to untangle it all. And I'm sure, as with many things, as younger generations come along that'll help as more will have a different mindset from the off.
Agreed,as I said,changing people’s behaviour is glacial.It is a generation in time so see change

Sponsored Links
The other massive challenge is we're trying to impose solutions on infrastructure that wasn't designed to adapt in that way. F
Agreed too.Have cycled in a few UK cities this year it and is nuts what they have done.Suddenly put down miles of cones and alter roads to cycle/pedestrian lanes is not the way.

Narrow lanes, lots of sharp turns, dodgy edges with pot holes etc. So what is the vehicle driver to do? Drive literally everywhere at no more than 40 mph so they can take evasive action? Of course, some will say 'yes' to that question ;)
Yes.Drive to the conditions.Narrow Road,bends/sharp turns is a 40mph zone at best.The roads were built many years ago and were not designed for massive SUV vehicles tear arsin about either.

Sponsored Links
I don’t think a legal precedent has been created on passing distance. I think the appeal probably took account of the deliberate nature of the pass making it obviously dangerous

The main problem is that there are too many cars on the roads, and too many of them driven by people of bad character. Mass immigration has caused this,
Ffs....what complete rubbish.

some impressive riding here, unacceptable in the risks created to others, but some impressive skills.

I often pass cyclists when going to/from work.
Often its no problem, they are to the left, easy to see, have their lights on etc.
Often it is problematic because they are dressed in all black lycra, no lights, dark coloured bike etc. then they don't look before pulling out to go round an obstruction, slap themselves about 1.5 metres from the kerb so getting out 1.5m from that causes plenty of delays.

Driving is so intensive these days, road markings worn out, signs all moldy and illegible, poor state of the roads, you have to watch out for d1kchead drivers, red light jumpers at every lights, cyclists, dog walkers, children et all. It's just so stressfull and tiring - I esp hate it in the dark.

I often pass cyclists when going to/from work.
Often its no problem, they are to the left, easy to see, have their lights on etc.
Often it is problematic because they are dressed in all black lycra, no lights, dark coloured bike etc. then they don't look before pulling out to go round an obstruction, slap themselves about 1.5 metres from the kerb so getting out 1.5m from that causes plenty of delays.

Driving is so intensive these days, road markings worn out, signs all moldy and illegible, poor state of the roads, you have to watch out for d1kchead drivers, red light jumpers at every lights, cyclists, dog walkers, children et all. It's just so stressfull and tiring - I esp hate it in the dark.
yes it is about time they lowered urban speed limits to 20mph. we now have such a thing here, everything that was 30 was reduced to 20, it seemed a bit slow at first but now just feels so much more sensible, when I go down into england now 30 just seems stupidly fast.

A motorcyclist may be taught to occupy their space on the road. Actually I would say should be as they can keep up with traffic, just about all of them in urban areas yet this still doesn't work out all of the time. Leaving distance to a car in front doesn't always either.

Then comes the think bike campaign. That's to remind drivers to look specifically for motorbikes as sometimes that may not register. One I had was a bloke wanting to turn right off a side road. He did register the space to a car that was following me but didn't notice me. Same thing happens when a driver part overtakes and turns left - or right if a bike happens to be overtaking and they didn't have their indicators on. Bikes can also be missed on islands as driver is looking for cars.

Some who ride motorbikes are aware of this. Push bike riders ??? Some will have had the experience blame, the driver etc but these things do happen so there is a need to be aware that they can. This can help.

Push bikes even electric ones being ridden on pavements - we get a lot of that around here.
Just how far do they need to be off the curb.
Should they obey all road signs. Crossings spring to mind.
Should they willy nilly ride 2 or more abreast when ever they like or where ever they are.
Should some wobble about to gain a little bit more speed up hill or change gear.
Should they ride around in pedestrian areas.
Should helmets not be optional. Some do get killed for not wearing on. The road and curbs are a lot stronger than people heads.

I had one ride directly into the side of my car. Vision restricted by low air resistant sun glasses that had frames and fitted rather close to his eyes.

How good are the brakes on them. How often will the chain come off or does the gear change actually work.

So all go electric car etc - will that change anything? More use of electric bikes and scooters - these can injure pedestrians. An ordinary bike can too.

When are things likely to happen. When commuting especially in the rush hour but some factors are just as likely maybe even more so when things are quiet.

This thread is a bit pointless.

Some cyclists are ****s and some drivers are ****s and some of each don't have a clue.

So, instead of cyclist, substitute horse, mobility scooter and even pedestrian on a road with no pavement.

Just a slow moving vehicle.
I wouldn't necessarily say it's pointless. Putting the other things you mention aside, there's a specific strategy around changing our infrastructure to accommodate pedestrians and cyclists in a more effective and safer way. That's not a bad strategy to have, however it raises questions and debates about the best way to achieve it. However your remark about ****s in general is accurate, could be applied to any aspect of life :)

At 60mph that is 7 minutes.At 30 mph it is 14 minutes...I would guess the delay,at max is no longer ever than a few minutes once a twice a year...Car drivers are so impatient.
To be fair, it's not got anything to do with feeling important. I assert it's a relatively normal human reaction to be frustrated (to whatever degree) if you're being delayed. In my earlier post I suggested trundling along at 35-40 is fine, whereas 20-25 can be frustrating. I'm sure some cyclists would be frustrated if stuck behind a slow moving vehicle doing 5-10 mph for a few miles with no opportunity to overtake ;)

Sponsored Links
Back