cycling eurocombi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, looking for help with my Ariston Eurocombi.
I moved into this house a few months back and being a bit of a knob never tested the boiler. It seems that the boiler is about ten years old.
It does the cycling thing, i.e. runs 14 seconds, temp needle hits about 90’c then cuts out for about the same time until the needle drops to 60 ‘c then fires up again. Does the same on hot water, so need a kettle to top up the bath water.

Had a pro in to replace the main heat exchanger as it meant diving into the combustion chamber, it was a nightmare to get the combustion chamber cover off, probably nevery having been off before in it’s life. Is now better, runs for 20 minutes good as gold, initially cutting in and out of low flame but running constantly. Once up to temp starts the cycling thing again but runs for about 40 seconds. The pump changes tone before the flame cuts, the temp needle rises quite quickly between 60 and 90. It looks like it should be cutting down to low flame but does not. Its probably been doing this for years so the temp switches and pcb relays are possibly damaged.

Any ideas? Is there a way of checking pump flow?
The h/e had a fair bit of black sludge so I’m guessing the rads will be quite bad. I did run some Wicks central heating flush through the system for a couple of weeks before flushing, the water came out quite brown but no sign of any black, didn’t make any difference to the cycling on and off.

Is there a recommended jollop I can use or should I try the wicks stuff several times.

Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
There are many boiler repairers who just change parts.

If the main HE is badly clogged up then the rest of the boiler will also be clogged as well.

We clean the whole boiler in situ but thats messey and time consuming and we charge £180 but at least it clears it and brings it back into original performance.

However with an old boiler thats not the end of the problem because the rest of the rads will also be clogged and that dirt will migrate back into the boiler again.

Its not as easy as just shoving something from Wickes in for a couple of weeks. The nature of the dirt needs to be determined and a chemical chosen which will dissolve it and that will need to be repeated a few times often with a different chemical for each constituent of the dirt.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back