Cyclists out there....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday, I slogged through mud, pebbly tracks that had been turned into streams , hills and a headwind. A tiring, steady, relentless headwind.

Does anyone know to a website or equation for how much extra effort I would have to put in, to ascend a climb of a given distance and incline, into a certain headwind?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yesterday, I slogged through mud, pebbly tracks that had been turned into stream , hills and a headwind. A tiring, steady, relentless headwind.

Does anyone know to a website or equation for how much extra effort I would have to put in, to ascend a climb of a given distance and incline, into a certain headwind?
Heart rate monitor. Best way to measure your actual effort. Useless for long term trends unless you do regular calibration type rides, but good for short term comparisons.

Heart rate monitor. Best way to measure your actual effort. Useless for long term trends unless you do regular calibration type rides, but good for short term comparisons.

I think there would be too many variables to make that meaningful even on the same route, but it might give an indication I suppose.

I think there would be too many variables to make that meaningful even on the same route, but it might give an indication I suppose.
It depends why and what you want to know. Back when I was in shape then HR was the way to tell if I was working hard enough or if I needed to drop the pace. I had a HR range of around 10bpm that I knew was as high as I could keep it for an hour or so for a training run/ride.

Or if I wanted to confirm that I wasn't imaging it and that last run really was a monster if I wasn't trying for UT1 or 2.

Last edited:
I generally do a variation on a standard route, making sure I hit the same steady climb at each trip out.

According to Strava , it's 4% incline, and almost 3k from start to finish.
I try to put some effort into it, but it's about 20k in to get to the start, and sometimes the legs are not feeling it at all. Like yesterday. Looking back, I wonder if my cycling shorts have got a bit tight around the thigh, causing them to ache a bit more?
Add in the headwind yesterday, and I was almost 20% longer doing it than my fastest time this year.

I have a very rough calculation so as I can factor in ascent when comparing two rides. Miles + a Mile for every 100' ascent

So as an example of my last two rides
34.6 mile + 1,530' ascent = 49.9 points
36.2 mile + 2,824' ascent = 64.4 points of effort

so although both were the similar distances one was quite a bit harder. I know that anything over a 100 is too much

Don't bother factoring in wind as I always start and finish in the same place. But yes a windy day is always more tiring.

Since on a flat road the only real resistance you are overcoming is wind resistance then you could add the amount of extra air that you passed through as miles.
so if you spent 2 hours riding 25 mile into a 10mph wind then you would have went through 45 mile of air ? so equivalent to 45 mile ??

think there would be too many variables
Agreed..Wind resistance will vary so much,depending on wind direction,riding position etc..And of course the faster you go the faster the self generated air resistance is too.

Yesterday, I slogged through mud, pebbly tracks that had been turned into streams , hills and a headwind. A tiring, steady, relentless headwind.

I know such calculators exist for motorsports but I feel you are forgetting about another very important value.

The rolling resistance of the tyres on the track surface.

I know such calculators exist for motorsports but I feel you are forgetting about another very important value.

The rolling resistance of the tyres on the track surface.

I considered that, if I keep them pumped up to basically the same pressure, it would not change from ride to rid .
The track surface doesn't either, on this particular hill.
I was thinking / hoping that someone could point me to something that said "each 10mph of headwind is equivalent to increasing the incline by 1%" , or some such.

Sponsored Links
Back